We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single woman in NY

Kenya
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Single woman in NY

Should be in NY on 20th June for 2 nights.

Having probs deciding where to stay, want to shop, Crate & Barrel, Bed, bath and beyond, barnes and noble, see a show (hopefully Wicked - (am \i best to book this beforehand), have dinner afterwards.

Am I safe walking around after a show, would prefer hotel near theatres.

Budget for hotel $500 all inclusive.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Chris

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single woman in NY

Look for the chain hotels if you want to pay a little bit less (Holiday inn, best western, choice hotels) but you will see that this time of the year is one of the most expensive. If you can wait 2 weeks you will see that the prices will have gone down a lot. I entered your dates in hotwire.com and the less expensive of the theater district hotels was 256$ per night, excluding taxes. You could try your chance on Priceline since you are going only 2 nights. Go on the website and see how it works.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single woman in NY

always keep your belongings in view,don't flash jewelry,etc..same precautions apply whether woman alone,or not..in any big city.

Theater district is very well lit,many people walking about..book ahead of time!! broadwaybox,as well as other sites,helpful..Wicked is wonderful!

hotels.com is a site you might try for hotel room..also don't hesitate to call hotel,speak to manager,see if you'll get better price(worked for me only one time,but can't hurt to try!)

have fun!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single woman in NY

Wicked is a really popular show, so if you can find tickets now, definitely buy them.

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single woman in NY

I just got back from spending 5 day (4 nights) in the city on my own and never once felt unsafe, even walking at night or on the subway. I stayed at the Herald Square Hotel on 31st St and found it to be perfect for my needs (full trip report with pics in the works as I type). I booked a few months in advance and was able to get a single room with private bathroom for $79/night. When I arrived I was upgraded to a room with a double bed. My total hotel bill came to just under $375 US for the 4 nights. It is a bit of a walk to Times Square (about 10-15 mins, depending on the crowds and where in TS you're going) but it's a nice walk. Sure, the neighbourhood doesn't have as much atmosphere as, say, Greenwich Village, but it was central to everything and the transportation links were fantastic. The hotel was only a few mins walk to the 32nd St entrance of the 34th St station. There were also plenty of buses running through the area.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single woman in NY

To find inspriation and itinerary ideas, check out this collection of trip reports by solo travellers, many of them women.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k474427-… Collection_of_trip_reports_from_SOLO_TRAVELLERS-

Have fun!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,451 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single woman in NY

The shops you mention are mostly in totally different locations. Crate & Barrel on Madison & 60th st. Bed Bath & Beyond on 6th & ~ 19 st. Barnes & Noble dozens of locations all over town. I think there's one not far from Bed, Bath &,...

June is a pricey month (it's the height of graduation and wedding time) and you're looking last minute. I see nothing in your price range that I would recommend either near the theaters (or elsewhere frankly). Best option I see is the Courtyard by Marriott Times Square for $299/night PLUS tax so it would be about $690 total. The Times Square Econo Lodge is ~$250 plus tax, but I'd never pay that for that hotel. AThe Best Western President is about the same but I feel the same about it. I would probably book the Courtyard if it's cancellable and try bidding on Priceline for a 4* hotel in any area with the word "midtown" in the name. You could get lucky and get something for under $200/night. Go to biddingfortravel.com or betterbidding.com for help.

I doubt you'll find Wicked tickets at this late date unless you're prepared to pay a premium. Try ticketmaster but probably not. If you're willing to pay more, try www.applause-tickets.com

I'm sorry to be so negative, Chris, but it's a pricey time. You could try one of the smaller b & b's (not in Times Square area though which I wouldn't chose anyway);, but many have minimum stays of 3-4 nights. Sometimes they'll waive that if it's last minute and they have room.

1871house.com

west-eleventh.com

wymanhouse.com

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single woman in NY

Instead of Barnes & Noble check out the Strand bookstore.

www.strandbooks.com/

There is a large B & N up the street in Union Square so you could check out both.

8. Re: Single woman in NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2007, 18:21
9. Re: Single woman in NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 03:17