We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Park - 72nd Street

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Central Park - 72nd Street

I recall reading someone's opinion on here about entering Central Park via 72nd Street for the most impressive first time view of the park. Would this be from the east or west side?

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Park - 72nd Street

Actually, it could be from either side since the park is only about a half mile wide. I would enter from the west side at 72 Street. The Dakota is on Central Park West and 72 and you will see it from the street and then from the park. As you enter the park you will pass Strawberry Field, the John Lennon memorial, and then you will pass the Sheep Meadow on your right. If you go into the Sheep Meadow you have a great view as the buildings surrounding the park loom above the trees. Walking further, you will pass Bethesda fountain and then look for the signs for the boat house. Take a row on the lake and/or have a drink there. This is just a start because you have only seen about 10 percent of the park.

New York
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Park - 72nd Street

Every square inch of the park is gorgeous; you can rest assured that every entrance is full of charm.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
728 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Park - 72nd Street

Approximately what distance is it from the 72nd St. entrance to the Boathouse? Thank you.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Park - 72nd Street

From the West 72 Street Entrance to the Boathouse is about one-half mile.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central Park - 72nd Street

Thanks. I thought it was likely from the west since there is a subway stop right there. I do want to see the Dakota. I remember the day John Lennon was shot there.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central Park - 72nd Street

Consider taking a map of the park with you. If you're not familiar with the park, it's easy to miss something wonderful less than a minute's walk away. I like this very compact, laminated folding map:

http://murl.se/25481

The view from the Sheep Meadow IS wonderful. While you're in that area, another beautiful view is from the benches on the Lake side of Gardener's Circle. The benches offer a simultaneous view of the Lake, the graceful Art Nouveau arch of Bow Bridge, and the splendid buildings lining Central Park West. The path continues around to Bethesda Terrace.

Enjoy your stroll!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central Park - 72nd Street

You can't lose no matter where you enter the park. It is totally incredible. 72nd is a nice entrance from both the east and west side.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Central Park - 72nd Street

Is the park safe to walk around in at day and nigh time?

Bronxville, New York
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Central Park - 72nd Street

The Park is perfectly safe during the day.

While I consider it safe at night as well, use your best judgement and stick to well lit, well trafficked areas.

The far Northwest corner of the Park, while absolutely gorgeous, is less trafficked than other areas, so I would not recommend walking through that section at night, especially alone.

But again, the Park is one of the safest, if not the safest, areas of Manhattan.

10. Re: Central Park - 72nd Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 16:18