We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

There will be four of us (all adults - 2 male, 2 female) travelling to NYC for six nights. We will have the option of free hot/cold breakfast at our hotel, and may or may not eat it for our first meal everyday. Taking this into account, and the fact that we will want to eat at a few 'nice' restaurants, as well as some more mid-range places and off of street vendors, and of course some snacks to bring up to our hotel room, about how much do you think we'll be spending on food during the course of our trip?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

You can spend anything you like, not to be funny. McDonalds, Planet Hollywood, good delis, pizza places or fine dining. You basically have endless choices. If your hotel includes breakfast I would go for it. You could then probably have an inexpensive lunch (pizza, etc.) and splurge as much as you like for dinner.

Last night I ate at Sambuca, a nice italian family style restaurant on West 72nd street. Their food is family style which means each entree is enough to feed two or three people. As an example of price most appetizers were about $15 - $20 (remember, this will easily be enough for 2-3 people) and most entrees were about $25 - $32. At this restaurant you would about $100 - $125 not including drinks for the four of you. If you are in Midtown I would recommend Carmine's on West 44th street as it is a similar italian restaurant, also family style. It gets crowded so you need to give your name and then walk around the Times Square area until the time they give you (they don't take reservations). Both of these italian restaurants are Northern Italian (red sauce) style.

You can also go to a high end steak house and easily spend $250 for the four of you not counting drinks.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

If you haven't already, consider buying a Zagat Guide for NYC. While Zagat isn't the be-all and end-all when it comes to restaurants, it still is very helpful. A good thing about it is that it gives average meal prices with each restaurant listing.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

Thanks. I have looked at Carmine's online in the past, and it definitely looks like a good option. It would be nice to eat at places other than your everyday Mickey D's, etc., but if it comes down to needing a good, cheap, quick meal, ya never know.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

That probably would be a good thing to have.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
210 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

Hi BigCityDreamin,

Eat that free breakfast!

The only way to estimate, I think, is to actually plan a little. At least you ought to decide on the nice restaurants where you'd like to dine. Many restaurants have websites w/menus and prices. You can also check out menupages.com. You may need to make reservations (opentable.com) for the nicer restaurants especially for pre-theatre dining. It will also depend on whether you have cocktails/wine with dinner.

If you need restaurant or even street vendor recommendations, TA is a great place to ask.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

Probably not too many cocktails/wine, but some beer will be ordered at some of the places we dine...as far as the street vendors, I'm sure we'll be grabbing plenty of food off of them as we walk through/explore NYC.

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

As others have said, it's hard to estimate exactly how much you will spend on food, but to give a rough guide, last year my boyfriend and myself spent roughly $100 on a normal day and once or twice,we spent up to $200 where we went to a nicer restaurant. For lunch a couple of times, we went to a deli and got a nice sandwich made up, which wasnt very pricey and we did the same for breakfast.

This year we are probably going to spend a bit more, only we have breakfast included this year too, so we are going to take advantage of that. For lunch, as it's going to be nice and hot this year, we're mainly going to go to Whole Foods or somewhere like that and sit out in the park and have picnics. And for dinner, we're going to vary where we eat, but some places that we're going to go to are Pastis, Churrascaria Plataforma, Swing 46(can't remember the others that we are booking!). The other nights we're going to go to somewhere like Joshua Tree, which seems to be very reasonable.

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

definitely eat the free breakfast, then you can stop for cheescake or a cupcake, then eat a late lunch and dinner later. You have to fit those cupcakes and cheesecake in!!! I am always on a budget and don't do much fine dining in NYC......but we always eat great food and are rarely disappointed.

I read this forum so much and write down so many places to try....I told my daughter we had to have 3 lunches every day!! LOL....We do share things sometimes (like pastrami on rye at Katz's)...so we can try other things too!!!

(Kind of like when I come to Buffalo and have to have Beef on weck, Bocci's pizza, and Anderson's ice cream!!!)

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

Yes, I too have a list of about 35 restaurants or so scribbled on a piece of paper, which I will TRY to narrow down before I leave next month. As for the cheesecakes and cupcakes, I currently have Junior's Restaurant and the Cupcake Cafe written down. As for your choice of Buffalo foods, I can't agree more, as I am close to the Buffalo area. Is anyone familiar with Harmony View Bar & Grill, as I have come across this? Also, is there still a (nice) White Castle located at 8th Ave and 36th St, as I am not sure if the site I found this info on was outdated?

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
446 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So, how much money can we expect to spend on food?

I've found this site useful too: menupages.com

I've heard on here tho not to rely too heavily on their menu prices as they are not entirely up to date, but it gives you a rough idea.