We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
where to find a good map

I need a map of New York City to plan out our walking tour. Anyone have any suggestions? I would rather have some sort of a plan so we can see everything we want to see without walking around in circles!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,755 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to find a good map

Notfortourists.com is often recommended here. This one is also very good

http://www.vandam.com/shopflash/unfolds.htm

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to find a good map

Barnes & Noble and other chain bookstores have a good selection of laminated major city maps... I forgot the brand, but they fold into 3 and tend to have all major museums, sights marked - sometimes major hotels/restaurants. They're usually on a standalone circular rack in the travel or map section.

I usually pick on up in advance for trip planning - makes it easier to view a hard copy than bouncing back between online maps and sites.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to find a good map

I love Fodor's Flashmaps. It's a little booklet with maps for attractions, hotels, restaurants, shops, theaters, museums, etc. Also subway maps, bus routes, and such. My copy was dog-eared and full of post-it notes for my trip.

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to find a good map

The cheapest, best map I always use is the subway map. It's free and I keep it handy for my whole trip whether I'm on a subway or not (and believe me I ride them!). It's handy in case you get tired or it starts to rain too (so you can find a station). Have a great trip!

Seattle
Level Contributor
615 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to find a good map

I think Evening is referring to the Streetwise maps. I like these too as they are laminated an not too big. They fold quickly and tuck into my bag easily. I've used the Paris streetwise map and am looking forward to using my Manhattan one again in September.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to find a good map

that's it.

Maine
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to find a good map

I used the subway map which was good but then I ran across a pocket size fold out map in a tourist shop, it was awesome, when you first open it, it shows the subway map, then it fans out to the street maps. I think it cost me 6.00 and is then best one I've used on all my trips. Best thing about it was it folds up small enough to fit in my digital camera bag.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to find a good map

Knopf Guides - New York City

…barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/…

I used their Miami one and it's awesome, just purchased the NYC one. Small book will fit in purse, with flip up maps of each section of Manhattan. Each section has writing about the must see items and others noted on the maps. Very easy to use and good layout

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
868 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: where to find a good map

i love the streetwise map also. the subway map is on the cover and was the most used of all.

reminds me, i need to stop of at B & N and pick up a new one as mine is really worn out and it is now in pieces!!!

I have a large one that i made from google maps....i printed out enlarged pages from each section of town and taped them together then photocopied each of them and taped THOSE together......yes it was a bit of work, but now have a great poster sized map of the entire island with each street and location we have visited marked with a highlighter. i hung it in my home office and refer to it frequently when making our itinerary for each trip.

.........and they have the nerve to say i have a severe case of OCD.......silly people!!!!

10. Re: where to find a good map

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 11:22