We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priceline's Hotel choices...

texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Priceline's Hotel choices...

I am about to book my hotel through Priceline but I need your help. These following hotels had the most recent wins:

Midtown West:

Hilton NY

Hilton Times Square

Midtown East:

Grand Hyatt

Barclay

Upper midtown/Central Park South:

Le Parker Meridien

Based on the hotels, which area would you choose to bid?

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,056 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,417 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priceline's Hotel choices...

I don't see too much of difference between these hotels. I would bid all of these areas.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priceline's Hotel choices...

I'm assuming you've gotten these from biddingfortravel.com. The number of postings there has decreased for New York (when I bid 2 years ago, there were at least 10 winning bids posted a day for off season) , so there are probably many more being won that aren't listed.

You will find that even though these have been the recent wins, it doesn't mean you will get them although it increases the odds. I wouldn't go by this to determine where you will bid. If you have decided you are going with Priceline, narrow it down to the areas you want and review ALL the hotels in each area. I use a combination of the Tripadvisor reviews and the biddingfortravel reviews as well as guidebooks, if I have the time. You have to be ok with all the potential hotels or I wouldn't bid. Also check the cheapest rate you can find for those hotels - sometimes Priceline doesn't give you enough of a break to let them do the choosing for you.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priceline's Hotel choices...

I would narrow it down Like this this:

All are all pretty good hotels.

Hilton NY - nice but I think their spa and fitness center is under renovation from Aug - Sept ( I do not know if that would be an issue for you?)

Hilton Times square if you like times square - I think they get good reviews and great location.

Grand Hyatt - I did not care for (only my opinion)

Barclay - good

Le Parker meridien- I believe there is a pool

I would choose if my choice - Hilton times square or le Parker Meridien.

Like stated before they are all good it is a matter of personal taste.

Good Luck!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,401 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priceline's Hotel choices...

All of the hotels you list above are fine. Do I like some better than others? Yes, but for example, I like the Barclay but I'm not crazy about the Grand Hyatt but you could get either if you bid mte. I personally wouldn't bid these 3 areas on the same bid since you're liable to overbid for mte. Upper midtown is usually more expensive with wins in the $140-180 range depending on dates and availability. Midtown East is usually cheapest and MTW somewhere in the middle. MTW is closest to Times Square and the theaters. Since there are 2 free re-bid zones for a 4* bid, if you don't care which of these hotels/areas you get, you could bid each of these areas on a separate bid and get 3 shots(ie bid say $100 mtw, if no bid $110 and add upper west side, if no again bid $120 upper east side). Do the same with the other areas.

Excellent advice above about double checking availability and prices on these hotels for your dates.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Priceline's Hotel choices...

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest you visit betterbidding.com and check out their priceline advice. Perhaps they have more up to date listings than biddingfortravel.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Priceline's Hotel choices...

I would bid 4* for any New York midtown neighborhood. I would not bid 3* for any.

Be warned though.... a while back the Hotel Mela was coming up as 4* in midtown west and the rooms there are very very small. I ahven't seen it being won lately.

I agree with posing on betterbidding.com and getting a strategy.

You want to bid slowly starting at the cheapest zone first and working your way up and then adding your two free rebid zones. If you don't know what that is, definitely post on BB.

Also, check out travelzoo. There is a nice deal on the Omni for weekends.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Hotel Mela
Hotel Mela
4,356 Reviews
New York City, NY
texas
Level Contributor
178 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Priceline's Hotel choices...

Thanks for all the help! It sounds like everyone likes the Le Parker Meridien...I may try UP/CPS first since this is the only 4* hotel won on priceline in this area in a long time. It sounds like most of you are ok with all of them except the Grand Hyatt...why? Should I just not bid ME b/c as of now that is most likely what I will get? We are going June 27th - July 1st so I have 2 weeks...I will just start bidding low (125-150) and go from there. It seems like the closer you get to the date the better deals you get.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Priceline's Hotel choices...

I've won the Grand Hyatt on priceline several times and I'm perfectly okay with it. In fact... I'll give you a link so you can see some pix from when I was in just before Christmas....

good-times.webshots.com/album/556348642gegxYI

Grand Hyatt Pros:

-Very convenient to Grand Central Terminal and transportation.

-Nice lobby.

-With so many rooms, front desk very willing to upgrade.

-Comfortable beds.

Grand Hyatt Cons:

-Not posh. Probably should get a refurb soon, it's been a while, reports of some rooms less than stellar.

-With sooo many rooms, some are wonderful, some less so.

-Not much view wise.

-Small bathrooms. They have what you need, even have hair dryers, but they are functional not fancy.

That said, I would not pay rack rate (but then...when would I...) but for the bargain prices on priceline, I felt it was a good value.)

Truth be told...I think it is closer to a 3.5* star property than a 4*.

Skip MTE if you want...and bid on UM/CPS, then MTW, then add your free rebids if needed.

rochester, michigan
Level Contributor
219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Priceline's Hotel choices...

beachlova, we stayed 4 nights at the Parker Meridien at Christmas time - won on Priceline. We loved it there! The location is slightly out of the throngs of Times Sq/theatre district and very near Central Park. Breakfast or brunch at Norma's is a must! Let us know where you wind up. Happy bidding.

10. Re: Priceline's Hotel choices...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 12:19