We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we do it?

Saint Paul, MN
Level Contributor
172 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Can we do it?

My husband, 17yo daughter and I are arriving in NYC 6/23 around 6pm. Is this tentative itinerary doable?

Sat - Check in Murray Hill Suites, drop off car for duration of stay, Grand Central, Times Square

Sun- 5th ave, Financial district, WTC site, the Beast (look for discount broadway ticktets that evening)

Mon - early lunch at Katz's, NYU prospective student tour 1-3, Greenwich village, Little Italy, Chinatown, Subway to Brooklyn, walk the bridge back (eat either John's on Bleeker or Grimaldi's)

Tue- 10-12 tour of Columbia, Central Park, Gray's Papaya, (decide how long to stay in NYC before leaving for Yale- before 4 or after 7)

Sunday is our most open day. We want to soak in a lot of atmosphere and flavor. Daughter wants to shop but not in department stores. She likes funky and cheap. Our evening are pretty open, not sure what to do with a teenager with us. Is she able to go into bars? We like live music. Even though it says I'm from MN, I am a native So Cali girl so very adventurous and not much fear of the unknown.

Any suggestions or should we just wing it?

Thanks

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we do it?

Most Broadway shows do a Sunday afternoon performance (at 2 or 3 PM) and no evening performance. There are some exceptions, so your Sunday plan could be OK if you're satisfied with the selection of shows available that evening. Some shows that do have a Sunday evening performance (most start at 7 PM): Avenue Q, Chicago, Legally Blonde, Mamma Mia, Rent, Spamalot, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, and The Color Purple. Not a bad group, but not as many choices as you'd have at other times.

Some of these shows have discounts available at sites like broadwaybox.com, so you can buy discounted tickets in advance. You can also print out the discount offers that interest you and bring them with you. Then you can use them at the box office -- where you'll probably get a better choice of seat locations -- and avoid having to wait in the TKTS line (or you can go with TKTS if they're offering a better deal and the wait looks tolerable)..

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,073 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we do it?

You indicated that you are going to the financial district on Sunday. Everything is pretty much closed and besides looking at big buildings i do not know how much flavor you will get. --unless you are planning to do other things in that area.

I would also plan extra time for the college tour. This is your main reason for being in NY. If you have questions, want to linger, something comes up etc. etc. -you dont' want to feel obligated to move on.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we do it?

Regarding leaving for CT on a Tuesday, you will hit massive traffic with all those suburbanites heading home! i would recommend leaving even later than 7.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
83 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we do it?

FYI there is going to be a H-U-G-E parade down 5th Avenue starting at 57th Street all the way down to the West Village. It will be a nutty afternoon in the city.

5. Re: Can we do it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 12:20