We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

I have never been to NYC, and when we first see the Manhattan skyline from our car and as we inch closer to the Big Apple, what will my first impression be, and what will go through my mind (if anything, I might be in shock lol)?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

Well I'll tell you what the first thing going through my mind was. LOL We were heading there from Cooperstown after my sons baseball tournament and were going to stay somewhere outside of the city the first night and take a cab ride into the city in the morning.

We were still about 30 miles outside of the city and started seeing the glow in the sky from the lights (about 1 in the morning).

I was in awe when I first saw it when we realized we had actually somehow drove into the city. I couldn't enjoy it at first though cuz hubby was panicking. LOL

When we finally got to a hotel at around 1:30 a.m. we put our bags in our room and went back outside just to look before going to bed.

Do you live in Niagara Falls? I cannot imagine living in New York and having never been to the city.

Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

Yes I live in the Falls and unfortunately have never made the 7 hour or so trip to NYC. However, many people I know haven't either, so I don't feel too bad about it. Still, this will all change in about a month's time.

Good story by the way.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

Well enjoy it! I know that you will.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

You're first thoughts?

Hmmm, perhaps: "Holy effin' shi#$@#$!!!!!"

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

lol @ QB!!!

I came in from Newark so my first view of NYC wasn't as good as the view coming in from JFK but even now after several visits my first thought is just wow.....and these days followed with I'm home (I wish!)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

I would say all I can recall as a small child growing up in Queens(borough) and then going on day trips to Manhattan with my mom and grandmother who had a family building in Manhattan. I thought as a young girl maybe( 5 years old) "what is this big oversized wonderland. In a child's perspective everything in Manhattan was big and I felt like I was apart of a movie scene.

I now as a middle aged lady take it all in stride and I am use to the wonderland City and that' big "is something I have grown use to . I guess for you it wil be a Wow factor as an adult.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

If you've flown in to Newark, not a lot to be honest!! The skyline coming into Manhattan that way isn't very impressive but one I got up TOTR, I loved the view over Central Park.

Then when you are walking the streets you think "My bloomin' neck is hurting from all this looking upwards!!" LOL!

Sadly one thing that struck me walking over the Brooklyn Bridge and from the Staten Island ferry was that the skyline "didn't look right" - even now, it was so strange that the twin towers weren't there. After seeing them so often on TV and in films, when I finally got to New York I was quite upset that these icons are no longer there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
335 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

This city is like nothing else! my heart was beating 100 miles an hour just seeing the lights as we drove into times square and knowing i was somewhere i had actually only dreamed of. My husband who had been there before just about wet his pants knowing he was back !We dumped our bags and went straight up to the Empire state building at a ridiculous time of night and saw the city straight out in front of us! The best way to start our trip!

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

Definitely WOW-I was amazed the first time I arrived-I just couldn't believe I was there until I saw the skyline!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What will go through my mind when I first see the city?

I'm going to get jumped on here but............ I was seriously underwhelmed. I'm not sure if it's because I've seen the skyline so many times in films & TV or whether our driver didn't take the best route but what hit me more was when we stepped out of the cab. I'll never forget that feeling. I was floored.