We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic

Hi all,

Ok my husband and I have always wanted to visit New York and were thinking about travelling there in January for our first wedding anniversary. Time of year suits us both due to work etc. Anyway our minds were made up and have mentioned it to a couple of people and a few a re saying we would be mad to come at that time of year beacuse it will be too cold to do anything.

Neither of us are big sun holiday fans and coming from Ireland we are used to bad weather but we have been told it can get down to minus figures etc and we won't be able to do anything. People saying this did live there for quite a while about ten years ago

Just wondering if this is overly dramatic or would be better holding off for another time.

Thanks and please be brutally honest.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
141 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,015 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,127 Reviews
from US$57.00*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,395 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Level Contributor
3,932 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dilemma

I say it's probably being a bit dramatic. I was there this Jan and it got down to about -8 but it was sunny still and it never stopped us from doing stuff, you just wrap up warm - the key is layers so when you go in a shop or something you can peel a layer or two off :) I would certainly go in Jan again as it's so much cheaper, it wasn't busy, the sales were on and the weather, although cold, was nice :)

Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dilemma

I was there in Jan of last year and had an amazing time. It is a bit colder than Dublin but once you dress in layers and bring your hats, gloves and scarves you'll be fine. I would definitely go at that time of the year again. The hotels had great rates as well and the sales were on.

Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dilemma

Thanks for the replies, mind definitely made up now to go

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dilemma

I wouldn't let the weather stop you from enjoying yourselves on what would be a very romantic occasion. I visited Prague for my birthday in January 2005 after careful research we knew that the temperature would be about -18 and it was!

Yes, it was freezing but if you go prepared then it shouldn't affect your trip. Layer as other people have said and pack a pair of nice, warm comfy boots and you'll be fine!

Besides, you might be lucky enough to get some snow....what could be more romantic than that???? ,lol

I would go with what you think is best for you both and if you seriously think that the cold won't bother you, then go and have a great time!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dilemma

We went to Vienna in January and found the cold kept the tourists away which made it more enjoyable.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,519 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dilemma

Hotels are much less expensive, easier to get theater tickets etc. Do it! You'll have a ball.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dilemma

If you come right after the new year, the Christmas decorations are still up. They come down the end of the first week.

Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dilemma

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Tickets are booked.

I am sure I will be back on nearer the time to annoy you for some more

thanks again

9. Re: Dilemma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 10:22
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor