We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing is Everything !

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Timing is Everything !

Last week Gillian56 (from Austrailia) asked what time it is right now in NYC ..... I guess so she count syncronize her watch. But I also thought ..... gee is Gillian aware that she should calculate the time in ..... REAL ..... time ..... i.e. Has she every heard of ..... A New York Minute ?

*** A New York Minute is a very short period of time, sometimes significantly shorter than sixty seconds, and sometimes a form of hyperbole for "perhaps faster than you would believe is possible". The term refers to the common perception that New York City is very busy, with much happening at all hours of the day, and people often in a hurry and likely to be impatient. *** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_minute_(time)

It's basically that buzz that everyone experiences when they come to NYC. Here are a few example I thought of just to illustrate the point;

It's basically the amount of time it takes to get nice and sweaty on a NYC subway platform during a 90+ degree day.

It's the amount of time it takes before a cabbie flips you the bird at a traffic light.

The amount of time it takes for you to get solicited by a knockoff handbag "entrepreneur" in Chinatown.

It's how fast a "knockoff handbag entrepreneur" can run a mile with the NYPD chasing 'em.

It's how long it takes a NYC sales person to get rude with a store customer.

It's also kind of like dog years ..... see I'm actually still a teenager but here in NYC ..... I'm in my ..... well ..... let's just say I'm a lot older ..... and leave it at that.

Or ..... as Gillian56 responded ..... "O.K. I get it ..... it's kind of like how long it would take me to spend an entire years salary in Versace?"

Okay ..... now you try ..... can anyone else think of a few more examples of how long a minute takes in NYC ?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing is Everything !

It' the amount of time that it takes to consume one Gray's Papaya hotdog

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing is Everything !

Just last night I experienced it! It's the amount of time it takes to have your breath taken away when you exit the Holland Tunnel at sunset to see the beautiful final rays of the day reflecting off the buildings in Lower Manhattan and the lights twinkling on! Stunning and still awe-inspiring after all these years! Moms

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing is Everything !

I always heard the fastest measurable time span was the time between the traffic light turning green and the taxi behind you honking.

Lotus - isn't there an Eagles or Don Henley song, "In a New York Minute" ?

P.S. LOVED the outfit in the meet-up pics!!

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing is Everything !

One other, its the amount of time it takes a tourist to complain about the rudeness of New Yorkers bumping into them on the street when there are almost no native New Yorkers in the city and mostly only other tourists! (Yesterday!) Priceless! Moms

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timing is Everything !

How about??

The amount of Time it takes , when driving in the City for People to stop walking in front of your car when sitting at a red light.

Another the amount of time it takes for for you to decide what pizza place or chinese place you want to go to.

The amount of time it takes to choose Macy's or Bloomingdales.

The amount of time it takes to decide what to wear in new york.

Last ???? The amount of time we are all on the New York City forum a day. By the way I am punished . LOL- I am not allowed to be on triadvisor when hubby comes home .He say's I need help , I am addicted???

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Timing is Everything !

QB ..... I'm saving the Don Henley song for later ..... but thanks for the "wink' about my meet up photos ..... you next time I'm coming as a Pirate !!

Back to the New York Minute .....

It's the amount of time you have to cross all 12 lanes of Queens Boulevard (raised to the power of 8) before being mowed down in traffic.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timing is Everything !

Lotus - LMAO!!! So true about Queens Boulevard! (I feel I'm in good major-street-crossing shape, but The Grand Concourse in the Bronx still scares me!)

more thoughts on a NY minute:

...it's the time it takes for the "regulars" on this forum to bring a thread about (tipping-illegal-designer-bags-horse-drawn-carriages) to 15 reponses.

...the time it takes for Joe Torre to get worried about his job after every losing "streak" of one.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Timing is Everything !

It's also the amount of time Roger Clemens lasted in his last start.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timing is Everything !

QB - that horn honkimg quote was from Johnny Carson! During the late 1980s crime wave, David Letterman defined a New York Minute as the length of time it took to be mugged in New York City.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,207 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timing is Everything !

the amount of time it took me to clip my hair, tune in my ipod, set up my eliptical trainer and fall off it...

....upon seeing Scooter's sentence commuted on CNN at the gym last night!