We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

If you'd like to read an 'interesting' hotel review---check out CairoFL's June 30 review of the Hotel Plaza Athenee titled "Overstated Luxury."

I am completely befuddled by it.

WHAT is that about??

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Plaza Athenee
Hotel Plaza Athenee
737 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

What a pretentious, whiny, poop. The reviewer complains because the hotel is at 64th and Madison, and this is "not a good location"??? What were they supposed to do -- move the hotel around town until the writer found a block he or she liked better??? and how about the line " Was it really appropriate to allow a guest dressed for dinner to go fetch their own taxi in the rain???" No, you're right, of course this should not have been "allowed" -- why, the doorman should have tackled you and sat on you to prevent it, while shrieking "You are not ALLOWED to hail your own cab!!!"

Sheesh.

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

Doormen that don't leave the hotel and walk down the street in the rain to hail a taxi before returning to the door to stand soaked for the rest of their shift? What is the world coming to?! I bet he didn't even lay his coat down on the sidewalk to save their feet from getting soaked while getting into the cab!

And as for the mixed up seasonings - well that's just the last straw! The Hotel Plaza Athenee won't be getting my custom anytime soon!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Plaza Athenee
Hotel Plaza Athenee
737 Reviews
New York City, NY
St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

LOL !!! Why did she not know breakfast was included ?......her personal assistant failed to mention that, I guess!! Surely she did not make her own reservations!!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

My guess is that the doorman, and probably most of the hotel staff, was tired of this giant PIA and gave up trying to please her!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

My vision of the reviewer has her holding her chihuahua, Tinkerbell, while shopping all day for the perfect diamond studded collar (when she wasn't having to catch her own cab, eat off of a buffet, or eat mustard on a ham sandwich - oh, the horror).

That can't be for real! And why would you pay $900 a night for a hotel? I would think everything would be disappointing at that price.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

ha!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

I did enjoy the stroppy use of speech marks though:

'Their "lobby" airconditioning was down...' - should one expect something other than lobby air-conditioning in a lobby?

'...there was an "event" going on for dinner...' - perhaps whatever was happening in the restaurant did not merit the title of an "event"? Or maybe the "hotel" was trying to stop them from eating in the restaurant by "pretending" there was an "event"?

I also enjoyed that members of the hotel staff are referred to as Waiter, Doorman and Receptionist a la Karen from 'Will & Grace'!

Ahem, retracting claws now - I think there's a saucer of milk waiting for me somewhere! ;o)

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

so true!! lol!!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

Oh that was good!

I thought I'd spend my life only enjoying reviews of the Carter but this has opened up a whole new avenue for me to explore.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Carter
Hotel Carter
4,297 Reviews
New York City, NY
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
537 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Salt in the Pepper shaker; Pepper in the Salt shaker......

My favorite is the spring rolls that kept repeating for 3 days.