We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Radio City Apartments, size?

Sheffield...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Radio City Apartments, size?

Haven't visited the USA before. Not sure what is the size of a 'double bed'. We are considering booking at Radio CIty Apartments, but aren't sure what size of room to book. We are a couple, staying probably for 7 nights, so want to be fairly comfortable with enough room. We fear that the Studio apt with one double bed might not give us enough space to move around, and might not have any chairs to sit in if we want to spend a bit of rest time in the room. So will probably book the apt 'for up to 4 adults', with extra space and sofa/bed. They appear to charge the same rate for one double bed or two double beds.

I'm assuming that a 'double bed' is the same size as a UK double bed (but not King size). Am I right?

Can anyone advise on the best apartment choice for two people in Radio City Apartments? Would save money on the smaller room, but don't want to be uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance,

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,543 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Radio City Apartments, size?

A double bed is 54" wide, same as in the UK. They were the standard size for 2 people here up til the 1950's when Queen beds started to become popular. Our queen beds (more common in most other hotels) are what you call king. (are we confused yet?) A queen is 60" wide. Details here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_(furniture)

If you're set to stay there, I'd book a room with 2 doubles in case the bed isn't comfortable for 2. Haven't seen the studios but the 1 bedrooms are plenty big.

There are loads of other suite hotels, btw, many have queen beds. Look at the Eastgate Tower (www.affinia.com)

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Radio City Apartments, size?

if they're the same price book one with 2 double beds as Whiz said for the extra space (particularly for extra space to dump shopping!). However, I would say that me and my husband (neither of us small people) managed perfectly adequately in the one bed studio when we were there.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
581 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Radio City Apartments, size?

I was there in May with my teenage son, so we needed the 2 beds, but I was very happy with the size of the 1 bedroom apartment. My son would stay up later than I, and I could go into the bedroom and shut the door to sleep. In the mornings, he would sleep later, and I could go out in the living room area and have the tv on and use the kitchen area without bothering him.

I haven't seen the studio apartments at RCA, so can't comment on them.

chicago
Level Contributor
814 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Radio City Apartments, size?

I have stayed in the one bedroom and studio apartments....The one bedroom with myself and 3 sons and the studio w/ 2 double beds and one son...plenty of room both times....both are equiped w/ kitchens, its just w/ the studio, the beds are across from the kitchen, there is only one room, but to be fair, the bathroom is down a little hall, and there is a dining area w/ table in both....With the one bedroom, you actualy have a sitting room,(living room) w/ the kitchen and the bedroom is separate. The studio is plenty big for two people, the one bedroom was nice with all my kids as there are 2 tv's....Book fast as this place fills up fast...Both types of rooms are big for NY standards at this price and for the cost and location can't be beat...Have a GREAT time...You will love NY!

Sheffield...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Radio City Apartments, size?

Thanks for all your replies so far - I was impressed to get such speedy replies.

It looks like the Studio apartment for two should be spacious enough, but wouldn't have the sitting room with sofa.

I don't quite understand about the double beds. For the same price we can get a Studio (for up to 2) with one double bed, or a Studio (for up to 2) with two double beds. I wonder if that means that the overall space of the two double-beds' room is bigger, or that two double beds are squashed into the same space thus leaving less floor space.

Thanks again everyone.

Sue

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Radio City Apartments, size?

A studio with double bed was fine for me and the hubby when we staeyd in May

Milwlaukee Wi
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Radio City Apartments, size?

My husband and I have only stayed in the studio apartments. On 1 visit we had a studo with 1 double bed and the other time we had a studio with 2 double beds. To answer your question about the size of the rooms. The one with the 2 double beds was definitely a larger room. with plenty of floor space to move around. The studio with the 1 double bed was a smaller room. Both rooms had a table with 2 straight chairs so you can eat at the table but there were no other comfy lounge type chairs in the room. I suppose if you want that kind of chair to lounge in then maybe the 1 bedroom apartment would be better.

Hope this helps.

Be sure to try the Back Stage Deli next door, great food, reasonable prices and very nice people.

8. Re: Radio City Apartments, size?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 11:24