We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mets game

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
mets game

Hi well it is 5 days till we arrive yeah!! so last minute query we have tickets to a mets game 27th July was wondering prior to the game is there anywhere we could go to make a day of it? sorry if it sounds odd just thought another area we could explore!!

Many thanks

NY
Level Contributor
775 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mets game

That is a night game so you can certainly do things during the day. Is this the only day you have in New York City? The choices are simply endless.

I like the Brooklyn Heights area with nice views of lower Manhattan and good restaurants and you can get there via the A train to High Street or the 2 or 3 train to Clark Street.

There are so many musuems. My favorite is the Musuem of Television and Radio on 52nd Street near 5th Avenue or you can visit an Art Musuem. Central Park has nice attractions including a zoo or a carriage ride.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mets game

Hi we will be in NY for 9 days and have a lot planned just was not sure how far away we were from the stadium and was thinking of having either lunch or a meal then go off to game or go and shop or just look around. We are staying in Salisbury Hotel if this helps

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mets game

Hi

Queens girl here. The number #7 train is a stright run to shea stadium. I would give your self an hour. Ireally think it is less time. I haven't had a ride on the 7 train in a while .www.mta.info/nyct/service/sevenlin.htm

If you want to explore Flushing and go to the last stop. You will see an assortment of great oriental restaurants and shopping. You can also explore Jackson heights which has a number of different restaurants. Flushing meadow park has some nice places to explore as well. If you go to corona queens there is the lemon ice king and a nice italian section small. Look up threads on Queens . we have had some recent ones.

Enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mets game

If it's a night game the entire day is your to do with what you want. The 7 train has stops in Manhattan in Times Square, 5th Avenue (Bryant Park), and Grand Central. All of these are easy to get to from other parts of the city. Just make it a point to be getting on the 7 train around 6:00 or so

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mets game

If you are looking for things to do or places to eat in Queens, you have a number of possibilities. Shea Stadium is in Flushing Meadows Park, as is the Queens Museum (use the stop on the 7 at 111th Street) , which is the home of the amazing Panorama -- a scale model of New York City, with every single building shown, from Tottenville to City Island and from Far Rockaway to Riverdale. If you have children with you, you can also go to the Hall of Science, which is a hands-on science museum that kids would enjoy.

As noted by others, you can also get great food (and interesting shopping -- need new sari fabric? want some gold Indian wedding jewelry?) in Queens. The #7, which goes to Shea, also goes through Jackson Heights, and stops at 74th Street, which is the Indian shopping district for the whle metropolitan area -- lots of good Indian restaurants can be found here, and then (since this is NYC) you turn the corner and find yourself in a South American neighborhood, with great Argentinian, Colombian, and Ecuadorian food to be found. One stop past Shea is the end of the line: Main Street in Flushing, which now scarcely resembles the old town that I (and my father, and grandfather, and great-grandfather, and great-great-grandfather) once knew. It has become the prosperous, middle-class Asian community, with excellent Chinese and Korean restaurants; if you like good, authentic Chinese or Korean food, this is a great place to find it.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mets game

I agree with GWB - check out the Panorama! It's one of my all time fave things to see in NYC. Just check the hours - I think they close at 5 pm. Possibly one of the most underrated attratcation in NYC, it is especially great for repeat visitors who have a familiarity with NYC's major landmarks.

http://www.queensmuseum.org/panorama/

Here's what it looks like if you could stand in it:

www.queensmuseum.org/information/mission.htm

More views:

bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/…index.htm

I also agree that you could have a lat elunch or early dinner in Jackson Heights. Great food! (Search "Jackson Heights" in the search box to see previous posts.)

Ireland
Level Contributor
113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mets game

I was in NY in June and went to see the Mets play the Twins on a Monday evening at 7:10pm. I left Penn Station at around 5:50pm on the #7, and was out in Shea at about 6:30pm. The stop is Willets Point - just opposite Shea Stadium.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mets game

One cannot take the #7 from Penn Station, as it does not go there. It should also be noted that the name of the stop for the stadium is Willets Point Boulevard; Willets Point itself -- the location of Fort Totten -- is some miles away on Little Neck Bay. From Time Square, the ride on the #7 takes about 30 minutes.

On game days, however, one can take the Long Island Rail Road's Port Washington Line from Penn Station to the LIRR's Shea Stadium stop, and it only takes about 16 minutes.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mets game

Hi all thank you for all your information looks like we will be doing sightseeing and having a late lunch sounds fab.

Looking forward to it.

Many thanks again.

Am going to print this off so I don't forget!!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mets game

Enjoy!