We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,529 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

From today's NY Post

nypost.com/seven/07182007/news/columnists/fi…

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

Makes me appreciate Gray's Papaya's $3.50 Recession Special even more, even though not long ago it was only $2.75. And isn't that better than filet mignon?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,267 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

This is why I have to rely on out of town clients coming in to get to eat at the high priced restaurants. Luckily, for every one of them, there are 100s of great neighborhood restaurants that have kept their prices pretty level.

As much as I am for congestion pricing, you know every restaurant and bodega in town was going to raise the price of everything a dollar to compensate for the higher price deliveries.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

I don't get it. Can someone explain this to me? (I read the article.....still don't get it)

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

Don't worry, Ange. Mum will explain it. Over an expensive dinner.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

livetotravel,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the article is really addressed to Americans right? For those visitors to our city that live in the euro and pound world, they're going to think prices are very low after they convert their currency into dollars. I've read lots of threads where people want to go to Century 21 and Woodbury Commons. The Europeans are shopping because what we're selling in the states is at a major discount once the currency is converted.

FYI, feed prices and petrol (gas) is up in the US. That affects meat prices. Steak prices already crossed in to the USD$40 range last year.

Anyone remember when $30 was expensive? :>)

I'm Paris bound in September and don't look forward to the exchange rate. I long for the days when the euro was just introduced.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,529 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

Bro Hammer - yep, it's addressed to us-ens, and blames our erstwhile visitors for aiding and abetting the through-the-roof prices.

I long for favorable exchange rates flying eastward too, but I'd rather go bankrupt in Paris then almost anywhere on earth ;-)

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

I am a little bit confused. I get that the grocery prices is rising due to more expensive gas. I get that the most "touristy" areas is raising their prices due to the fact that we as tourists get a better exchange rate and we find it cheaper in USA. But at the same time there must a whole lot of money flowing into the city due to the increase in tourists. But I guess those who make money want to make even more money - capitalism at its best. Well we as tourists love the exchange rate at the moment - 6,64 kr for a dollar yesterday, the lowest rate in over 3,5 years. But I am sorry for you that live in this magnificent city, your foodcosts must be going through the roof. How do you handle it? Going outside the city for groceryshopping? Or what?

Thanks for link LTT.

Matte75

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

I can't answer for New Yorkers, as an American tourist we are....

staying in a room with a small kitchen, will eat more pizza, Gray's Papaya and H&H Bagels (what a way to go!) and only splurge on one really nice dinner (and maybe a nice lunch or 2 instead of another nice dinner). Other dinners will good neighborhood places and a wine and cheese evening in the room one night in the middle of the week we're there (or if it rains or something, we find it a nice break to have at least one kind-of early night).

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

Matte75,

My brother-in-law lives in 'the city'. Most supermarkets and grocery stores are a lot more expensive in 'the city' vs the suburbs. It's always been like that due to much higher rent and operating cost.

In my opinion, prices have not increased due to the influx of tourist into our city (or country).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be prepared for sticker shock @ NYC restaurants

We found eating out in NYC quite expensive especially since Canadians convert the US dollar the oppostive way to the British pound or euro.

For example:

Dinner for two at the Bryant Park Grill with a drink each, appies and dessert was $123.62. Converted to Canadian that is $135.03.

However, we did not find dinner as high priced as lunches were in comparison to what we pay in Canada.