We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report (sort of)

Florida
Level Contributor
110 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report (sort of)

I was in New York July 11th-July 18th but won't try to do a full trip report as others have done so well. These are just some random thoughts that might help a first time visitor.

Don't be afraid of public transportation. I bought the 7 day Metro Card for $24 and used it like crazy. I used the buses that went up and down the avenues as my own hop on and off tour. You just have to avoid rush hours and have a good guide book so you know what you are seeing and when you want to get off and see a particular site. The subways aren't as scenic but are a quick way to get around the city during the day and early evening.

Consider staying in a hotel away from the hordes of tourists in Midtown. I stayed at the Excelsior on the Upper West Side and loved the neighborhood. It's an easy subway or bus ride anywhere in the city. The streets in the area are largely residenttial and the avenues (Columbus/Amsterrdam/Broadway) are loaded with shops, larger stores, and more dining spots than you could ever try in a year. Try the diners, coffee shops, and small restaurants that line these avenues. They are relatively inexpensive and I never had a bad meal.

Use the parks as a respite from the hectic pace of the city. I loved walking through Central Park and Riverside Park people watching and dog watching and it was all free. I also got to see a free New York Philharmonic concert in Central Park with fireworks afterward. It was fun watching people arriving with elaborate picnic setups and many were very generous to offer samples to us tourists. You can walk along the Hudson River in Riverside Park during the day and watch some Shakespeare at night.

Go see a game at Yankee Stadium before they tear it down in 2009. The new stadium is under construction nearby. It was an easy subway ride to the stadium.

If you need a Southern food fix while in New York, check out the Pink Tea Cup on Grove Street (?) in the Village. For lunch I had soup/salad/pepper steak tips on rice/collard greens/green beans/cornbread/sweet tea and jello for desert all for $10! It wasn't quite like Mama used to make as the cornbread had sugar and the tea had fake sugar and lemon flavoring but it was still a great meal.

Strike up conversations with people you meet along the way. I was with a friend who was attending meetings during some days so I was on my own for part of the time and found people to be friendlier than I thought they would be. New Yorkers love their city and seemed happy to make suggestions for places to go and places to eat.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report (sort of)

Good tips, thanks for posting your thoughts.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report (sort of)

That's a very full trip report, great detail. And wonderful advice about trying the neighborhood spots, away from the hordes of tourists.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,912 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report (sort of)

Some very good tips and I'm glad you liked the UWS.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report (sort of)

I thoroughly agree with your report. I was in the UWS on almost the same dates as you. We always stay in that area because its a great excape from midtown and the locals are so nice and friendly. I also like as you said, the diners etc., I stayed at on the ave on 77th where is the excelsior. would you recommend it. I would recommend on the ave., (booked with quickbook)BUT HOUSEKEEPING was not the best and we had to keep calling them re missing towels, etc., we love the Uws

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
251 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report (sort of)

Has anyone stayed at the Lucerne on the UWS? I am considering that for my trip in a few weeks.

Florida
Level Contributor
110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report (sort of)

The Excelsior is on 81st between Central Park West and Columbus. I also booked through quickbook (thanks to nywhiz for the tip) and got it for $179 per night. I've written a review that hasn't been posted yet. I think I gave them 5 stars but 4.5 might be more accurate but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. There were no negatives at all about the room and that is what is most important after all.

A neighbor always stays at the Belleclaire on 77th but they must have had a tour group or something as even though I started checking early I never could find a vacancy for my week.

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report (sort of)

I really like The Excelsior, really nice neighbourhood. Very clean and quite upscale. Quite fancy lobby too, very nice!

8. Re: Trip Report (sort of)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 07:15