We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights: Please Help!!

Leicester, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Flights: Please Help!!

Hello,

Planning to have a 3 day trip for our honeymoon Sun June 8th 2008, can anyone please recommend best/cheapest way to book flights?

Virgin online are quoting nearly £900 to fly on sunday but only about £500 to fly on saturday-rip off or what?? Im thinking maybe its a bit early to book for next June?

We def cannot fly on the saturday but would consider going maybe monday or tuesday, has anyone been at this time of year and what should we be paying? Want to fly from either Heathrow or Manchester.

Thanks for any help.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights: Please Help!!

Hmm, prices do seem to be very high for that period, can't think why, other than it being the start of summer!

Aer Lingus is £450 + fuel surcharge (£56) from Heathrow to JFK, going out on the Sunday, back on the Wednesday. You'd have to change planes in Dublin, but you do get to go through immigration in Dublin, so that would save a little time when you get into JFK.

Might be worth waiting for the sales to see if prices come down!

Leicester, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights: Please Help!!

Many Thanks,

Any idea when the sales are?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
948 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights: Please Help!!

No set times that I know of - sorry! There are sometimes sales at the end of the year, but it might be an idea to try and sign up for email updates with the main airlines so they'll email you with any sales/special offers

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights: Please Help!!

Hi there

That does sound very expensive.

I would feel hard done by paying more than £300 for a flight to NYC. I went in November 2004, September 2005 and am going again this November and have always paid less then £300 a flight. Not sure if June is considered a more expensive time to go then the months I have been though.

I would recommend looking closer to the time. Two of my trips were booked end of January when BA had flight sales on. Just keep looking.

Try www.travelsupermarket.co.uk they compare a lot of websites and airlines.

The cheapest they are showing at the moment for your dates are:

£306 from Heathrow (non-stop) with Air India (who people say to avoid)

£517 from Manchester (1 stop) with Air Fungus

BA and Virgin are over £800!

Good luck!

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights: Please Help!!

I also tried looking at flights on a Saturday compared to a Thursday and it was something stupid like £300pp more!

I'm now flying on a Thurdsday with Continental at £270pp return. Def fly on a weekday.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights: Please Help!!

I agree with the poster above, keep checking regularly, you have plenty of time, I rarely book more than 3 months in advance - if you see it cheap book it do not hesitate cause it wont necessarily be there the next day (or even that afternoon!) American Airlines often have good sales on if you're prepared to go from Heathrow (and I can recommend the Premier Travel Inn on Bath road which I got through BA's travel site for £80 for both of us inc breakfast)

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights: Please Help!!

It is a bit early for flights as scheduled flights are usually only bookable 331 (I think) days in advance, so flights for June are only just available. I think you will definitely get someting cheaper a bit later on, especially from London where there is a lot of competition. Manchester has a more captive audience, so less variation, they start off similar prices, but don't change as much.

The other problem you have is to fly out on a Sunday for less than a week. Most airlines seem to offer cheaper flights to NYC when a Saturday night is included. I imagine it is because the business users don't do the Saturdays.

Try out the BA website, when you change the outgoing flight the costs of the inbound change.

We had no problem doing the Aer Lingus Manchester-Dublin-JFK, connections were fine, and has been stated previously you do US immigration in Dublin, so virtually walk through JFK.

The only downside of that is that for such a short time that you are going it does increase your travel time a bit.

Try the places like expedia, travelbag and airline network regularly, then when you find a reasonable price, go to the airline directly, it will probably be the same price.

When some real bargains come up some lovely people on this site will usually post a link, so stay tuned.

Best wishes for your wedding, honeymoon and married life.

Pat

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights: Please Help!!

Just to add to what Pat said - airlines do charge a lot more if a Saturday night isn't included in the stay - bear that in mind......they wanted double for my husband to fly out and meet me Tue to Sat than for him to come Wed to Sun!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights: Please Help!!

I think your problem may be that a 3 day trip starting on a Sunday doesn't include a Sat. night stay. That usually signals a business trip and is much more expensive. If you include a Sat. night the price will drop by half I think. Either leave on Sun. and stay longer leaving on the following Sunday or leave on Wed. or Thurs. and return on Sun. Look at prices on kayak.com I also think it may be too soon for any sales. I'd book a hotel that's cancelable and I'd sign up for email alerts on sales from all the airlines you'd consider.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights: Please Help!!

I didn't see your answer before posting Lou ;)