We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy champagne?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy champagne?

Birthday celebration in nyc next week, where to buy a reasonablypriced bottle of champagne? Staying Times Square. What would the cost be? Thanks!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy champagne?

What are the cross streets of where you're staying?

For reasonably-priced champagne, I like Veuve Clicquot, which runs about $40 a bottle in liquor stores.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy champagne?

staying at Millenium broadway, 44th street, nr toys r us and swatch shop!

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,805 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy champagne?

This is right up my street! I always buy a bottle of champagne at Duty Free as we leave LHR and it's our first night tradition. Good choice at Berry Brothers--I'm working my way through them

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy champagne?

There are not many liquor stores in the immediate TS area. Morrell's is a very nice upscale shop with large selection in Rockefeller Center. Cost would depend on what you get. You can find a great bottle for under $30 or you can spend thousands.

http://morrellwine.com/index.php

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy champagne?

There really aren't many liquor stores in that area, but you could try the Manhattan Plaza Winery on 9th Avenue, between 42nd and 43rd. It's a very small shop, but unless you're looking for something obscure, you'll be able to find a chilled bottle for a fair price.

If you are looking for something obscure, Sherry-Lehmann offers the best selection in the city. They're located on Madison Avenue, between 61st and 62nd:

http://www.sherry-lehmann.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
868 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy champagne?

I remember picking up a bottle of Veuve Cliquot for around $45 at a small liquor store on 35th between 7th and 8th Avenues. It is located on the south side of the street nearer 8th ave. Very friendly salesman, but the place was locked up tight and they would come to the door and ask what you wanted before allowing you in. If I remember correctly they carried most of the better labels of bubbly and prices started around $30 and went up to over $200.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy champagne?

There's a liquor store on 8th Avenue between 42nd Street and 50th St. I don't remember the exact cross street. Not sure how extensive their inventory is.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy champagne?

If you go downtown, you should stop by the warehouse located on Broadway just a little bit south of Astor place and it is located on the west side of Broadway. The prices there are lower than the other liquor stores. I found a bottle of Mumm cordon rouge for 25$. Back in Montreal, I would pay 66$ for it! Their prices for the champagne are really good. I would stay away from Veuve Cliquot. It has gone downhill over the years. I would ask a guy there for help and most will tell you to stay away from veuve cliquot. If you don't want to pay too much, there are always the champagnes from California. Their Mumm napa is quite good and it is under 20$.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy champagne?

I would definitely check the duty free store in the airport. I picked up a bottle of Moet & Chandon Rose for $35. Its $55-60 in most places in NYC.

Also, Morrell sells incredible French sparkling wines that arent Champagnes for less. I forgot the brand, but its something Cremant...

10. Re: Where to buy champagne?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2007, 13:36