We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mets Game

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mets Game

Hi folks,

We leave in a week and a half for our honeymoon in NYC (then vancouver and the rockies!) and have been looking forward to seeing a baseball game 'in the flesh' abd we've managed to get tickets to see the Mets (v San Diego). Is there any 'insider info' you can give us on how to get the best out of the game? Any transport recommendations (we're staying just off 5th Avenue)? Any thing we should take with us?

Cheers!

Sarah

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mets Game

What a great honeymoon!

Shea Stadium is easy to reach by subway. The #7 train goes from 5th Avenue at 42nd Street directly to the stadium. The station is right next to the stadium. Very easy. What to take? Money. Refreshments are not cheap. (just a bit of sarcasm) Be aware of the weather forecast, and depending on whether it is a day game or evening game, consider clothing. If it is a hot, sunny day, you may want to have a hat, or buy a souvenir NY Mets hat at the stadium. Sunglasses, sunscreen, etc. If you are going to an evening game, check the weather forecast and have a light layer to put on in the evening. Once the sun drops, at about 7:30 when you will be there, it may begin to cool down a bit. All this is relative to the daily forecast and your own reaction to temperature changes, of course. If it is threatening rain, you may want to bring some kind of rain gear, a poncho or a tarpaulin you can hold over yourselves. I am not sure if umbrellas will be permitted or not. Stadiums and arenas have pretty extreme limitations on what you can carry in, how large a bag, or if a bag at all. Here is the link to Shea Stadium security measures:

…mlb.com/nym/ticketing/security.jsp

Other than that, before any game, each team gets a turn out on the field for Batting Practice and general warm-ups. This begins about 2.5 hours before the game and may finish up about 30 minutes before game time as the grounds crew preps the field. Die hard fans, and especially kids, like to get to the game early to watch batting practice. Each player gets to hit a bunch of balls that are thrown in fairly gently. They also do a lot of running, tossing the ball, talking and sometimes signing autographs for fans. It is also a good opportunity to get a ball hit into the stands. By the way, if you are lucky enough to get your hands on a ball hit into the seats before or during the game, it is yours to keep, a lucky souvenir.

So, sitting in the un an extra hour or two may not appeal to you, and does not appeal to most. But do plan to get to the stadium about 30 minutes before game time so you can have a little time to walk around both inside and outside of the stadium, check out the souvenir shop and vendors, get some food and a beer, and settle into your seats. You may also want to buy a Scorecard, sold by vendors as you walk in. It will have a lot of fan info, as well as the lineup of players for both teams, their numbers, and vital baseball statistics, which may be totally meaningles to you.

Let's Go Mets!!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mets Game

I've got nothing to add to the perfect info you've just gotten. Just want to tell you congratulations on your wedding, and wish you a fabulous trip. Oh, and enjoy the great views from the #7 train, it travels above ground in Queens.

Go Mets!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mets Game

En route to Shea Stadim, the #7 train passes through Jackson Heights, and one stop past Shea is the terminal of the line at Main Street in Flushing. I mention this because either before the game (if it is an vening game) or afterwards (if it is an afternoon game) both of these make good places to have a meal. Main Street is now the commercial center of the middle-class Chinese and Korean community in New York City who are at a higher economic level than those who live in Chinatown in Manhattan. There are many very good Chinese and Korean restaurants to be found within a few blocks' walk of Main Street subway station. Meanwhile, if you like Indian food, 74th Street in Jackson Heights is the Indian commercial center for the NYC metropolitan area, and there are many Inian restaurants to be found -- while on the surrounding blocks, including up and down Roosevelt Avenue where the train runs, are interesting South American resdtaurants. You can thus have a nice meal outside Manhattan -- and probably for less money, too.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mets Game

Brilliant advice guys many thanks! Love the restaurant ideas too - we'd prefer to eat where locals eat than do the tourist thing with another generic eating establishment. Although I am kinda looking forward to a naughty hot dog at the game! ;)

oh and yeah... go mets!

(need to practice this before we get there!)

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
143 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mets Game

It's "Let's Go Mets!" if you want to practice.

Are you familiar with the game itself? You can really enjoy the game more if you understand the rules. Otherwise, a game may look a lot like a bunch a guys in funny pants standing around and throwing a ball.

Learn about the "force play." As soon as my kids understood the concept, they immediately became fans of the game.

Congratulations of the wedding! Thanks for coming to see our humble little country on your honeymoon.

Let's Go Mets!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mets Game

Let's go Mets! ;)

Yeah, I dig baseball (my ex was American so I *HAD* to ;) ), I'm pretty clued up on the rules but there are some gaps in hubby's knowledge. We've been trying to catch a televised game here before we go, but they're on from about 11pm til early-o'clock on a Sunday night/Monday morning so it's hard to!

Thanks for your congrats!

Sarah

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mets Game

Not much to add to these great posts!

I just went Wed night and didn't need my windbreaker at all. Wow, was it a steam bath! Some other things that come to mind:

If you eat at the stadium, bring CASH. Also, the better food is on the lower levels. You can get up at any time to get food and drink. Or, if you buy food or drink from the vendors in the stands, you'll need cash and an extra dollar or two for a tip. That is one tough job!

Don't assume you need the service of the ushers. (Sorry, but stadium ushers irk me. Yes, they wipe your seat for you, but really, how clean is that rag in the first place? Plus, they knock into people all the time. I'd rather take some extra napkins from the hamburger stand and wipe my own seat and save the dollar. But again, that's just me.)

A nice, small and cheapo souvenir is getting some Carvel ice cream in a plastic cup shaped like a team baseball cap. Always fun at any age!

I thought the restrooms were in pretty good shape, BTW.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mets Game

Actually, Wikipedia is a good place to look on line for information about the game of baseball. Personally, I think Shea is a better place for a couple who are baseball novices to go. It is a different atmosphere from that at Yankee Stadium -- lots more women and families, for one thing, and less full of itself...

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mets Game

Yeah, plus they sell knishes at Shea.

10. Re: Mets Game

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 15:16