We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York in December

IRELAND
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Topic
New York in December

Hello

I have never been to New York before and have a good excuse this year as I would love to take my husband for his 50th birthday in December.

Do you think December will be very cold and is there much to do at this time of year ?

Thanks for your help

Fiona

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York in December

The temperature in December can vary, can be cold or mild, it may or may not snow, hard to predict. IF you come prepared you will be fine, but just realize it will not be warm.

As far as activities, there are many. NY at Christmas is fantastic. You can explore Central Park & ice skate, see the Xmas Show at Radio City Music Hall, ice skate in Rockefeller Center, visit one or more of our many great musuems, shop, eat, go to Broadway & Off-Broadway, visit the SOL/Ellis Island, go to the top of the ESB, check out our beautiful neighborhoods, see the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center, see the Big Apple Circus, visit a comedy club, listen to some great music, the list is endless.

Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York in December

NYCgirl

What is the Big Apple Circus?

more info please

thanks

judi

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York in December

Check out:

www.bigapplecircus.org

This will give you the history and information.

Have been, it's a one ring circus that is very intimate and lots of fun, and comes to town during the holidays in temporary quarters in Lincoln Center, and travels to the other boro's, also.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York in December

I love New York in December. The city is decorated full on. Shows are great. Restaurants are in top form. Hotels are warm and friendly. Weather can be a bit winterish, but a long warm coat, boots, scarf, gloves and a hat should keep you well protected and happy with long walks in the city.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: New York in December

Also the windows and inside of the department stores on Fifth and Madison Avenues are all decorated and Rockefeller Center has a gigantic decorated Christmas tree.

Dublin
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York in December

Aero,

If you are planning on staying over Xmas, be prepared for higher prices, less availability and many more tourists. We were in N.Y. for the last two years, both at Xmas time and believe me it is packed, not bad packed, just hopping busy.

This year we are going early December and staying put for Xmas, so I'm thinking it might not be as busy.

Make sure you bring some thermals just incase you get a cold spell, Murphy's law and that, if you don't have them with you, sure enough, it will be icy cold. Two years ago, we had amazing mild weather, it was bright and sunny, and last year we froze, it was -15 with the wind chill, so go prepared, hats, scarves, gloves and a good jacket/coat a must. That said you can buy anything over there, but do invest in some thermals. Last year Lidl had magnificent cashmere thermals and they were really inexpensive so keep an eye out for them come late Autumn.

It is a brilliant city to visit, there is SO much to see and do, so decide on the places that you definitely want to go and try your best to do them. NY is so big you won't get to do everything. You can book lots of things in advance so try to do that where you can and you really should listen to anyone on this site who tells you to go to the Xmas Spectaculor Show in Radio City it really is a must.

If you need any help or have any questions your on the right site, and the more you plan it in advance the better, it really does pay.

Enjoy.

IRELAND
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New York in December

Thank you all so much for all your help and great information.

I am looking into prices and have seen some great flights - only ��196 return from Dublin. Thats not too bad although the drive from Belfast can take a while!

I am really starting to believe that this amazing trip might happen.

Anyway

Speak to you soon

Fiona