We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a UK Credit Card

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Using a UK Credit Card

Is it still the case that you do not need your pin number when making purchases? When I was there in Jan they were introducing the chip and pin but the US cards had 6 digit numbers and therefore I always signed for my goods.

Thanks

Lou

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Using a UK Credit Card

We only need a PIN for debit cards when making purchases. However, you will need a PIN to use an ATM.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using a UK Credit Card

Thanks Betty - I dont use the card to withdraw cash (being allowed to use it in shops is bad enough!) :)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using a UK Credit Card

Lou - In May this year, I mainly used my debit card (chip and pin) but the once I used my credit card, yes I did have to sign for it.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
154 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using a UK Credit Card

I use my credit card for quite a lot of purchases in America as the exhange rate is usually very good on the credit card. I signed for purchases last month and didn't use a pin number.

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using a UK Credit Card

We never used our PIN code. We just signed for everything. The scary thing is no one checked our id. Not that difficult for a thief to buy on your card.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
551 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using a UK Credit Card

Now I did hear that chip and pin was done away with in the US as cases of fraud were actually higher than when people signed for goods

I used my card in a Ralph Lauren shop in California and signed for my goods

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using a UK Credit Card

Matte, the scarier thing is you are often handed back your card before you have signed!!

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
551 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using a UK Credit Card

Actually you're right after a Ralph blitz I was given my card before I signed

Only just realised that

9. Re: Using a UK Credit Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 15:16