We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

different dining experience each night - how does this sound

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Topic
different dining experience each night - how does this sound

Have four nights in new york and want to try a different dining experience night for dinner. So far i am interested in :

Del Frisco's for steak (on our splashing out night - also going for drinks in View bar this night!)

Johns for pizza

Virgils BBQ for southern food

and Juniors for authentic new york cheescake (this will also be our cheap and cheerful night to make up for splashing in Del Frisco's and View)

I have picked these cos they all seem to be highly recommended and i dont want to just "take a chance" . How does it sound? Any other must eat places i should consider instead? Staying West 49th St and like to eat late and close to home

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,831 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: different dining experience each night - how does this sound

They sound fine but I have a major problem with the fact that they're ALL in the same general touristy Times Square area. If you're not going to the theater every night, you really should try exploring different neighborhoods, especially those where you'll find more locals and can wander around before and/or after dinner. Virgil's is good BBQ so that's ok but there's a John's pizza in Greenwich Village which many feel is better than the one in Times Square. Otto's is also a unique pizza experience or walk the Brooklyn bridge and have pizza at Grimaldi's. I'd also go elsewhere for steak.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: different dining experience each night - how does this sound

Agree with whiz, those are good choices but I wouldn't restrict yourself to that area.

We ate at Cibo that has a $30 price fix menu when we stayed at RCA, it's not close by but it only took a few minutes in a taxi.

www.cibonyc.com

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: different dining experience each night - how does this sound

For barbecue you might want to take a look at Blue Smoke on E. 27th st.

bluesmoke.com

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: different dining experience each night - how does this sound

great thanks, didnt realise there was another Johns in greenwich village so will check it out. good point about sticking to the same area, going to have a look at bluesmoke website now. thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: different dining experience each night - how does this sound

ange, off topic question but what time did you have to check out on your departure day from RCA?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: different dining experience each night - how does this sound

It was either 11 or 12 but we left our bags there until we left for the airport at 4. There seemed to be people doing that everyday so you shouldn't have a problem.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: different dining experience each night - how does this sound

thanks we need to leave at 2 so good to know we can spend our morning in the city and not hanging around the airport!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: different dining experience each night - how does this sound

nywhiz can you tell me where the Johns is in greenwich village? i cant find it on menupages. thanks

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: different dining experience each night - how does this sound

John's in Greenwich Village is at 278 Bleecker Street between 6th and 7th Aves (www.johnspizzerianyc.com). I really like going there!

Another idea for steak--Peter Luger's (www.peterluger.com). You will need to make a reservation in advance and it's cash only, casual dress is ok. Well worth the trip to Williamsburg!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: different dining experience each night - how does this sound

thanks sue