We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

My friend and I are planning a trip back to the city over Memorial Day next year.

We cannot decide between these two hotels!

Radio City Apt's is a little more expensive than The Chelsea Lodge. We would ge the deluxe room at Chelsea lodge that has a private bathroom.

Anyone have advice that could sway us either way? Thanks!

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

Lou, I think you are the only one who can answer this question honestly having stayed in both.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

oh a question for me!!!

Hi Kfren

I stayed at RCA in Jan and CL last Sept (in a shared bathroom room tho).

RCA

Location - right around the corner from Time Square, stones throw from TOTR, walking distance to Central Park, 5th Ave stores, Macy*s (although it's quite a longish walk). The subway is right at the end of the road less than a minute walk.

Hotel - clean, friendly staff, rooms were quiet (couldn't hear much road noise at all to say how close you are to TS), nice size too.

Chelsea Lodge

Location - Chelsea, a more 'local' feeling area to the RCA, nice bars, restaurants etc. On a tree lined street, very quiet, felt very safe. A 5/10 minutes walk to the subway.

Room - very clean, small but nicely set out, always seemed to be staff at the reception room. I think the rooms with the private bathrooms would be bigger but cant comment on them as we didn't see them. We weren't disturbed by any noise either from guests or the road.

Neither place is 'posh', neither has great views. RCA has lifts (it's about 10 floors high) where as CL is a walk up. If I was going again I would go for whichever was the cheapest, if they were both the same price I'd probably pick the Chelsea Lodge purely because I prefer to be away from the toursity section that said I was suprised how much I did enjoy the RCA with it being so near TS and stuff. It depends what you are looking for a tourist holiday (RCA) or more of a local feel to your holiday (CL)

I hope I haven't offend anyone with my descriptions it is just my own, honest personal opinion :)

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

Thanks for those reviews lig-I think my family and I are hoping to stay at radio city apartments so it's good to hear what they're like. I personally would probably prefer to stay away from the touristy area but I know my sisters would love to be in the middle of it all

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

Choogirl - I stayed at RCA with my mum and sister and it was ideal for us, if I went with them again tbh I'd choose RCA for the ease of the location and the size of the rooms.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

Lou has given a good description. I think the suite rooms at Chelsea Lodge look quite nice but it is a completely different area and building from RCA. Agree it depends on what kind of trip you want. If you are interested in doing clubbing, Chelsea is the place to be. There's also lots of shopping in and around Chelsea, especially discount places.

Since this is not your first trip, if you've stayed in midtown before at a traditional hotel, might be nice to try something different. :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

Just to clarify, I haven't actually seen the suites at Chelsea Lodge in person. I'm talking about photos on their website.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

Thanks so much guys!

This isn't my first trip... and I think we'll really enjoy feeling more a part of the city rather than a tourist. We both LOVE discount shopping, cute hole in the wall restaurants, fun bars/clubs.

Plus, Chelsea Lodge is a tad cheaper.

Does anyone know if either places has a safe in the rooms?

Thanks!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

I know RCA doesn't.

And to quote Lou "I was suprised how much I did enjoy the RCA with it being so near TS and stuff.". Me too.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

There was no safe in our shared bathroom room. Email them they are quick at replying for a definate answer - they may have had one in their own little reception office.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Radio City Apt's or Chelsea Lodge

When I emailed them before we left to ask about safes they told me that they have them at reception. I think I remember them saying that both the manager and yourself has a key to your safety deposit box and that it requires both keys to be opened.