We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

I am going to Texas with work in a few weeks and I thought about spending a few days in NYC before heading back to the UK.

I travel alot and am used to the tooing and froing, however at the end of each journey there are either my work collegues or my family to occupy me! This time after leaving work it will be just me!

I have been to NYC a few times and I love it, although I always had company, last Dec we stayed in the Grand Hyatt and loved it, I am a Hilton Honours member and thought about finally using some of my points in the New York Hilton.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether this hotel will be ok for me? also I am quite reserved and can be fairly shy so don't find it easy to strike up a conversation with just anyone, I actually feel quite scared at the thought of being in the big apple alone, except of course when I am out shopping which is the reason for my trip!!!

I really like shops like Banana Republic, Ann Taylor etc, can you suggest the best place for me to stay where I won't get hassled, I can go about my business and shop all day! also not getting lost finding my hotel at the end of the day would be a bonus!!!!

I have no problems walking around London, Paris etc, for some reason I find the prospect of being in the US without a little support daunting, which is ridiculous as travel is my job!!!!!

Grateful for all advice and opinions!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,993 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

IMO, NYC is a lot easier than London or Paris to manage alone. The grid system in midtown makes getting lost pretty hard, not to mention that any time you stop to look at a map people will ask if you need help. You can go to the theater at night (pick up a ticket at the TKTS booth). There are loads of singles here that do things alone.

I think the NY Hilton is a terrific location for both shopping and theater. It's drawback is it's a big, somewhat impersonal convention type hotel. If that doesn't bother you, (wouldn't bother me) go for it. Hilton also owns the Doubletree Metropolitan which is in a good location for shopping, but I think it can be noisy there and it's not as nice. The Hilton Times Square is newer but in a really congested location.

Without the Hilton points, I'd suggest you stay near Bloomingdales where there's also a Banana Republic, a nearby Ann Taylor etc. Some hotels near there are the Marriott Courtyard eastside, the San Carlos, the Affinia 50.

I'll also mention that Hilton owns the Waldorf Astoria and while it's not what it once was, it might be a nice splurge if you have lots of points.

NY City
Level Contributor
191 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

If you are comfortable in London and Paris, you will be fine. The Grand Hyatt is a wonderfully central and safe location, as if the NYHilton. And you will be absolutely fine as a single woman traveler. (If it makes you feel better, as for a room on a low floor close to the elevator.) You don't have to engage people unless you want to. The days of single women being an oddity at bars and restaurants is gone, so basically you are free to dine anywhere that suits your fancy.

Shopping? Put Century 21 and Bloomingdales at the top of your list. As in any big city, do anything but don't look lost. If you find yourself in an unfamiliar area don't stare at your map in the middle of the sidewalk. Step inside a store- any store- and figure things out, or ask for help.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

The hotel is in a very good location, near Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue shopping and lots of other sites.

Surprised to hear you are hesitant about a couple of days alone.I think you will be fine and will enjoy being able to do what you want when you want, so why not go for it? You have already been here and I am sure you know your way around more than you give yourself credit for.

UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

I think it's more the idea than the actual being alone. I know that once I get there I will be fine, like someone else said, NYC has lots of singles, who's going to bother about 1 more!!!

Other question, woodbury commons is that the best outlet mall? I enjoyed my time there though wondered if there is another I should perhaps go to?

A show, which show??? I love them all! where is the best place for me to get a ticket?

Thank you for all your advice

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

I would say Woodbury commons is a good outlet mall with more designer names. You could also try Jersey Gardens as well and save on the tax.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

Go gor it!! I often go to New York alone and love it. I went with lots of people (friends, parents, boyfriend) and there is something special to do New York alone. You don't have to compromise...you shop where you want and you eat where you want. The beauty is you do what you feel like. If you feel like staying in and ordering room service and watch television, you can do it and no one will criticize you for it:)

There are many Banana republic in New York so you have the choice between many.

Just prepare your trip....go on chowhound.com and check out restaurants. Do a walking tour. I did the bigonion tour at the beginning of July, there are many so check out their websites, and they are excellent. Depending on your age, there is the rockjunket.com tour where it talks about punk/rock music in the east village (walking tour also).

Go for it...you won't be dissapointed!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,993 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

For a show, depends on what you want to see and how fussy you are about seats. All the shows have an official ticket seller-either ticketmaster or telecharge (they all have their own websites where you can generally sample a bit of the show too) . For discount tickets, broadwaybox.com has discount codes you can use to do get reduced prices on many but not all shows. If you wait til you get here, the TKTS booths (one in Times Square, the other downtown) will have seats to many of the shows and you'll pay a bit less than with the discount codes but you need cash. I've gotten some really good single seats from the TKTS booth.

playbill.com is one site that has a listing of all the Broadway and most of the off Broadway shows.

If you've never done a full tour of the city, you might enjoy nypartyshuttle.com or kingofnyc.com

but probably you've seen the major sights and might enjoy a walking tour of a particular area as cricri suggested.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
868 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

Your third paragraph answered and solved your fear of being in the city alone.....everytime you walk out the door, have the addresses of shops you are headed to printed out on index cards with basic directions on how to get there. If all those amazing shoes, clothes and bags are on your mind, that fear of navigating NYC streets will just melt away........if you happen to come across some fragrant restaurants along you way, of course you have no other option other than to stop, if for nothing else, than just to rest !!

During our NYC explorations, we notice many women (most with shopping bags) going about their business, head up, looking forward and not paying any attention to anyone else walking by. Come to think of it, most people arent concerned that there are thousands of strangers going about their business, they just focus on getting to where they are going and do so quickly!! If you chose not to speak with anyone or find it hard to do so, you wont have any problems there.

Last week, a single woman here was considering doing the same as you, travel to the city alone. She received plenty of great advice and by the time of her last post, she made her mind up that she was going and was sure she would have a great time with no problems.

One of the things that a few of us recommended was to dine at a restaurant/bar at the bar counter and strike up a conversation with the bartender. They are all very friendly and love to speak with their guests if they are not slamming busy. I found they are willing to give their opinions about the city freely...other bars, restaurants, neighborhoods, and how to get to each.

I know that is something I do when traveling alone, i find nice restaurant bars and have a few drinks making the bartender my conversation partner. I drove to Toronto this weekend alone and did the same thing. I chose 4 restaurants and bars i hadnt been to yet and had a great time at all of them. I was there for a bit of clothes shopping on Bloor Street and found some great buys. For some reason, I feel more comfortable doing the majority of shopping there rather than NYC. Of course, once I got the shopping/dining done, I went back to my usual haunts to see my bartender friends that i see on every trip. Always a great weekend trip for me....almost like NYC!!

So do a bit of research on your shopping destinations, make a few direction cards to get to them and have a blast. once again, if you do get 'lost', you can pretty much ask anyone on the street or a subway attendant and they will gladly put you back on your correct path.

If you look at the top of this page on the FAQ thread, there are shopping posts that will give you some info on that topic or using your seach bar, type in shopping for more posts.

UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

I don't know why I am making such a fuss! it's really no big deal, usually travelling for me is as easy as breathing!

I am going to stay in the NY Hilton, shop til I can't anymore, eat great food and have a good time! I'm going back in Nov for my 30th birthday with a group of girlfriends so some me and NYC is needed, I can go where I like and do what I like when I like!!!!

Thank you all so much for your help, I am very grateful..

Happy Travels

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo weekend in NYC shall I???

This will help in the "eat great food" category

http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/35521/

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/392353