We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

Peak District...
Level Contributor
440 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

Just been browsing the NYC dining recommendations on TA, and noticed the Galaxy Global Eatery is rated No.1. As I've never seen it mentioned on the NY forum, I thought I'd take a look at the reviews...but there aren't any!

Can anyone explain how this restaurant can be No.1 if it's not been recommended...or have I just got a suspicious mind?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,488 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

You're not the first to find this weird. ;)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k434838-…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k686418-…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,251 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

I've never even heard of it.

(I hope this isnt considered a belittling response - I'm getting overly sensitive now!)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

me either! That goes for #2 also, Basso Est?? I simply don't get the rankings.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

Wow, if anyone is actually taking these ratings seriously, please think again.

The menu for Galaxy Global Eatery is cracking me up:

http://www.galaxyglobaleatery.com/index1.html

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
6,527 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

Alice - thanks for that - it's the definitive "new age" menu - but, does anyone really believe that Thai people eat turkey bacon?

I would like me some "hemp" brownies though ;-)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

Maybe someone should peak behind the curtain over at TA headquarters and see what the ..... Wizard of TA ..... is doing behind the scenes with his great big machine of smoke and mirrors ..... Jane ..... are you listening ..... will you please have talk with the Wizard of TA for me. "Ding dong the witch is dead !"

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,720 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

I think some restaurants compensate Trip Advisor in some fashion to be listed high in the restaurant rankings.

This embarrassing list is one reason I stepped down as a local expert.

One time I analyzed all the top 10 restaurant choices. I found the reviews and such which TA said it was using as its criteria for its rankings were not even especially POSITIVE about these restaurants...

So what conclusion can one came to other than there is something backhanded going on?

Does TA know about this problem....? Yes. Does TA know I know about this...? Yes. Did TA promise me numerous times they would do something about this...? Yes.

Have they done anything....? No.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,251 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

LTT- one of the scariest blind dates I ever went on brought me to Thai House Cafe or whatever that place near the Holland tunnel is called. He was a strict vegetarian (he brought me 3" thick pile of photocopied articles about the dangers of eating meat as a souvenir of our date) and brought me to this place that replicated meat with chemically sounding products. Couldnt figure out why a vegetarian would want to eat faked pork or meat made out of gluten or whatever....

sorry - Thais and turkey bacon reminded me of this horrible experience! Now, where were those hemp brownies???

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,251 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

Oh, this is the place next to Irving Plaza. Makes more sense. After a concert, people will eat anything!

Peak District...
Level Contributor
440 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suspicious about No.1 restaurant...

Well, one list this place won't be making is mine! I've been around this forum long enough to appreciate and respect the views of the local experts who give their own honest opinions and pay their own bills when dining out. (Which was why I was so surprised to find a name I'd never heard of at the top of the TA list).

However, I do feel sorry for newcomers to TA who go straight to the 'official' restaurant list rather than relying on all the real-life experience in the FAQ's and find themselves choosing between hempnut or smoked eel burgers.

TA should at least make it clear the list is not based on the recommendations of posters to the NY forum.