We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo Opportunities

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Photo Opportunities

Hi everyone

I am heading off to NYC soon for a 6 day break and am keen to take some great photo's

I have seen a couple of photos on the net that have the chrysler and empire state in the same shot and was wondering if anyone knew where the best place is to go in order to get both in the same shot?

Thanks in advance

england
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo Opportunities

umm... Top of the Rock I think, you can certainly get Empire State up there and am pretty sure they were both near together but Im not sure on that, you can get great pictures up there anyway so definately worth it!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo Opportunities

The view of the Chrysler Building is obscured by the MetLife Building from Top of the Rock. According to our fabulous expert Bettina, here is the place to stand for a photo of both:

"Stand at the NW corner of Bryant Park, at 42nd St. & 6th Ave. You can see both buildings at the same time."

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo Opportunities

I thought you couldn't get both buildings in that photo shot NYCforme but rather had to look in two different directions.

One place you can definitely get both buildings in the same photo is from the Brooklyn Bridge.

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photo Opportunities

Thanks for the info guys - can't wait to go!!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photo Opportunities

Well the best place to capture both Chrysler and Empire state buildings in all their glory in a magnificent shot is from a room from the west tower of the UN millennium plaza hotel ( floors 30-40 ).

I stayed there a few days ago and I took some amazing photos of the midtown skyline at various times of day ( morning, dusk, night etc ).

I know thats not a convenient answer to your question, but when I read it, I just had to mention the unbelievable view

(including BOTH esb and chrysler, completely unobscured and framed perfectly with dozens of other midtown skyscrapers)

one can enjoy from this magnificent hotel...

You can see some of those postcard-perfect travelers' shots at the UN millennium plaza hotel review pages.

(I havent posted my raving review yet, though )

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photo Opportunities

Thanks for clarifying, ange. I think I misunderstood what Bettina was saying and thought it was a photo opportunity!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photo Opportunities

From the Brooklyn bridge the distance is big and the buildings will appear tiny, unless you have some super-duper zoom camera.

From the Brooklyn bridge and especially from the old fulton ferry landing in Brooklyn you can take amazing photos of the complete downtown manhattan skyline. However, the midtown skyscrapers are far away thus even the ESB appears tiny ( now that i think about it, I dont remember even seeing chrysler from there at all )

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photo Opportunities

I got some great photos of the pair of them in the same shot from the BB Evan.

What about Roosevelt Island? Any good vantage points there that anyone knows of?

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photo Opportunities

Ange is right - you can see both the Chrysler and the ESB from the Brooklyn Bridge. If you look here (and ignore my ugly mug) footcom.co.uk/nyc/…IMG_0277.html you can see the ESB quite clearly with the Chrysler just over my left shoulder.

Evan is also right in that they are both some way off. With a decent zoom, you can get a fairly large pic of the ESB or Chrysler but not both in the same frame as they are too far apart. See here: footcom.co.uk/nyc/…IMG_0254.html to see what I mean.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
982 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photo Opportunities

Ange, as far as I can remember I didn't get any particularly great shots from Roosevelt Island or the sky tram. Also, keep in mind, if you're taking photos while in the tram the windows are very dirty and have writing on them so you won't get a very good clear shot.