We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

Hey I had a question for you guys. There are different areas on priceline which give you choices of hotels. I can not find my previous thread, but would like a little info on the best area to stay.

The options are Midtown West, Sound, Upper Central, and East.

We already ruled out east, as everyone said it was too far.

From what I hear, Times square, which is WEST on the priceline map, seems not to be the BEST place for being central.

So....any suggestions on which area of the map to bid to hope to win and stay.

Here is the map.

West - https:/…

South - https:/…

Upper Central - https:/…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

You will be fine with Midtown East & Midtown West (first choices for being central). Next choices would be Midtown South & UPPER MIDTOWN - CENTRAL PARK SOUTH. All of these will work fine. Last choice should be Financial District. Do not use Priceline in New York if you have more than 2 people in one room. Get advice on how to bid at betterbidding.com.

USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

Use both betterbidding and biddingforT.

Everyone says EAST is too far. Especially near the water

Specifically what streets have late night bars/clubs? What area has these in walking distance? It seems EAST you need to grab a bus.

People say Times Square isnt really as central as you could be to these things...true?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

I second the advice to check at betterbidding.com to get info about using Priceline. I believe they recommend using the Midtown East neighborhood as a starting point. Remember, you can get anywhere on the subway in Manhattan in about twenty minutes, so location isn't that terribly important.

USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

Betterbidding doesnt give info on the best locations. Just pricing.

I am looking for some insider info regarding more detailed areas.

I will say we are mid 20's, some expendable income, touristy and like to drink. So we want to be near everything trendy. Were from Hollywood, CA.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,609 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

I use priceline quite a bit and know New York fairly well.

There is NO one central location. That is because things aren't all near each other. If you are really exploring the city you will go to many different areas.

Now the good news is...everything is pretty easy to get to by foot, subway, bus or cab. New York is one of the BEST walking cities. Not hilly, fairly flat and most streets are numbered. Nice. It has also has amazing public transportation which is why few Manhattanites nead cars. So do not be afraid.

That said...

Read the New York board on betterbidding.com and you will see what hotels are being won in the different zones.

I only bid on 4* hotels on priceline for New York. That is because there are too many bad choices mixed in with the good at the 3* level.

So for me, except for the Downtown area, which is usualy a bit far away fro most of my trips which are usualy theater based, all other Manhattan zones areas are acceptable.

Now here is a caveat. Not ALL priceline zones in Manhattan have 4* hotels. Last I checked the Upper East Side and Upper West Side did not have 4*. Of course this can change and is worth checking... so that leaves:

Midtown West, which includes Times Square and is central for theaters...

Midtown East, which includes hotels in the Grand Central terminal area. The 4* hotels in this priceline area are NOT inconvenient to the theater district.

Upper Central Park, the 4* hotels in this zone are very nice, and also convenient.

Midtown South, not many 4* hotels, not a likely win, but wouldn't bother me.

USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

Thanks! I pretty much discovered all that info for myself the last week.

My question to you is, West and Central Park Area are the best for walking to the subway, restaurants, bars,and Clubs.?

What are the nightspot areas in Central Park and West?

I am Bidding on 4 star hotels and I believe I can win Times Square Westin. I have yet to add Central Park. But you say Upper Central Park is as Good as the West.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from but Midtown East and Midtown West are not that far from each other. Still dont understand why you think midtown east is too far.

I got MTW Westin Times Square on Priceline last week for $130/night ...going from Aug 30-Sept 3 if that helps. I would've been happy with any Midtown location, though.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,609 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

My question to you is, West and Central Park Area are the best for walking to the subway, restaurants, bars,and Clubs.?

There are subways, restaurants, bars and clubs all around midtown, but these zones do fit the bill.

What are the nightspot areas in Central Park and West?

Define nightspots and what specifically what you are looking for. I can't answer you as well as others, anyway, but you should give some idea about what you are looking for.

I am Bidding on 4 star hotels and I believe I can win Times Square Westin.

May I ask why you believe that?

I have yet to add Central Park. But you say Upper Central Park is as Good as the West.

Yep. Look on the priceline map. Upper Midtown Central Park South goes from east to west. It includes Columbus Circle. I think it is perfectly fine.

USA
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

I'm not sure where you are getting your info from but Midtown East and Midtown West are not that far from each other. Still dont understand why you think midtown east is too far.

--Because when they had the millennium un hotel available for 155 everyone in the other forum said it was a 15 min walk to the subway and we needed to catch a bus to go anywhere. 3 or 4 people advised against that side hotel.

Define nightspots and what specifically what you are looking for. I can't answer you as well as others, anyway, but you should give some idea about what you are looking for.

---trendy night spots with good restaurants, clubs open until 5am, late night food.

I am Bidding on 4 star hotels and I believe I can win Times Square Westin.

May I ask why you believe that?

--Because as the trend has gone, this hotel appears to open rooms about 8 days out under 180 dollars.

I have yet to add Central Park. But you say Upper Central Park is as Good as the West.

Yep. Look on the priceline map. Upper Midtown Central Park South goes from east to west. It includes Columbus Circle. I think it is perfectly fine.

--Does Central park North have all these things I am looking for?

Thanks! :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BEST priceline area to be centrally located in Midtown!?

Steve,

It seems as though you are asking some of the same questions again and again, and some of the questions should be discussed in other threads.

You will probably get many more suggestions about nightspots open until 5am that serve food late if you post a separate question asking specifically about places like that.

As for your concerns about location, location, location, keep this tip in mind: if you end up at a place that might be a few blocks from a subway station (for instance, the UN Millennium), you can always (as suggested) take the bus to get crosstown during the day. If you are out until 5am and don't want to do that, simply splurge and take a cab! It will certainly be the easiest way to stagger back to your hotel at that hour of the morning.

As to your question about Central Park North, I'm not sure what that means. There is no Central Park North zone on Priceline. Do you mean Upper Midtown/Central Park South? If so, that is a great zone, and most of the hotels are very close to the subway. While I know of some nightspots in that area, there are many others far more able to suggest places. Just post a question asking for that specific information.

Remember, the more zones you are willing to bid in on Priceline, the more chances you have of having a bid accepted. So don't sweat the location so much, and be prepared to spend a few extra bucks to take a taxi back to your hotel at 5am. Hope this helps.