We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas To NY Trip - Shea Stadium

Dickinson TX
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Texas To NY Trip - Shea Stadium

I am a Mets fan that lives in Texas. I am thinking about coming up for a game on Sept. 12. What airport? Where should I stay? What about transportation? Might like to have drinks after game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NY
Level Contributor
780 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas To NY Trip - Shea Stadium

LaGuardia Airport is closest to Shea Stadium. There are hotels near the airport.

Dickinson TX
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas To NY Trip - Shea Stadium

Thanks for the quick reply. I was born on Long Island, and was 9 at the time of the Miracle Mets, and want to come back after being gone for over 30 years. Is there a nice place to get a meal and drinks around the airport area hotels? Once again, thanks a lot.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Texas To NY Trip - Shea Stadium

Yay! I think this is a great idea!

Argh, they choked again tonight. *sigh*

OK, here's what you do:

I'll let you spend the morning in Manhattan. Go to the Top of the Rock observatory at Rockefeller Center for great morning views. Have a bagel and coffee somewhere that is not a Starbucks. Stop by a Modell's Sporting Goods for Mets gear (or the official Mets Clubhouse store at 143 E 54th St.

Then, take the Roosevelt Island tram. Check out all the new condos going up there.

Get back on the F train - yes, there is a subway station on Roosevelt Island now - and head back to Queens for a late lunch. Go to Jackson Heights for some Indian or Latino food. Personally, I like Taj, steps from the 74th St.-Roosevelt Ave station.

Then, get back on the #7 and visit the Panorama at the Queens Museum! One of my all time fave attractions! The New York Panorama is a complete scale model of New York City. Including every single building. Yes, you read right: Every. Single. Freakin'. Building.

Possibly one of the most underrated attractions in NYC, it is especially great for repeat visitors who have a familiarity with NYC's major landmarks.

http://www.queensmuseum.org/panorama/

Here's what it looks like if you could stand in it:

www.queensmuseum.org/information/mission.htm

More views:

queensmuseum.org/education/…pano-sum.html

bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigmap/…index.htm

Then hang out in Flushing Meadow Park until game time. Sorry, can't come up with much...the museum closes at 5 pm. You could take a nice walk to Lemon Ice King of Corona for a snack!

After the game, you could go to somewhere like Irish Cottage or St. James (new name for old bar) in Forest Hills for beers. But you might need a car service if you don't know where you're going. Sorry I don't know much about bars near LGA hotels!

Lets' go, Mets!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Texas To NY Trip - Shea Stadium

If you would like I would considering staying in The Extended stay in Whitestone it states laguardia but it is alittle away from the airport. There is shopping a few restaurant movies and The #7 train is the line that runs to Shea stadium, if you stayed at extended stay you would be at the end of the line. You would need a bus to get there or a cab but not too far away. The other hotels available outside the airport is Adria the Adria Ramada some people do not like it. It is basic and has been there forever and the Anchor inn has also been there forever and is remodeled. That location maybe nice also?

Main street flushing.

The extended stay is a short taxi ride to Shea.

The Laguardia airport hotel that is good is Marriot I believe the Holiday inn is close to the subway as well.

Good taxi service this side of Queens Four Two's 718-746-2222

After the game I would take a short bus ride or a cab to bell Blvd .I believe it's the Q28 bus goes there? It's been a while since I took the bus there.The first edition is a nice bar and there are tons along that strip.

food wise - Try in Bayside Queens Caffe on the Green - nice italian restaurant , you can get to by bus from main street flushing. main street Flushing has tons of Oriental restaurants. If you go to the lemon ice king like GB said you can check out the Park side restaurant as well another nice Italian restaurant there across the street from the lemon ice king.

Dickinson TX
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Texas To NY Trip - Shea Stadium

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure it will be a blast! I may have to make a few more posts to get as much info as possible before the trip. If you think of anything else, don't hesitate to post it. have a good day, New York!

6. Re: Texas To NY Trip - Shea Stadium

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 21:19