We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

Teesside
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

Im off to NYC in January (10th - 15th) for the first time with my girlfriend, she's been before and has told me so much about it, I cant wait! We're going to do all the tourist things, think the Nicks are at home to the Raptors when we are there so going to try and get tickets for that too. All Im looking for is a really amazing restaurant to go to on one of the nights, maybe the saturday, I really want to impress her but don't know where to start. I dont mind spending my money but I'm not rich, I'm thinking of proposing so Im willing to spend more than usual. Any one have any suggesuions? NYC is her most favourite place in the whole world so I can't think of anywhere better to pop the question. Don't have a real price range, if its worth it I'll pay for it. really hope someone can give me some good advice, thanks a lot in advance.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

River Cafe

www.rivercafe.com

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
730 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

Michael,

I suggest that you type in "proposing" and then "proposal" in the blank box above the posts and under the green banner and to the right of "New York City forum."

You will get lots of food for thought!

Best wishes!

Teesside
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

I have just been looking at the website for that particular restaurant actually. Is it necessary to book well in advance? Also are all the views good or would I pay more for a table with a great view? thanks very much for the speedy reply, so you think this restaurant is as good as the website states?

Teesside
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

sofia im sorry if im wasting peoples time, im not really what you would call computer literate, i know how to type and thats it really. thanks anyway for your advice.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
730 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

Oh, so sorry if my post came across as critical. That was not the intent at all! Just thought you might enjoy reading about others' proposals. :<))

(I'm not computer literate either!)

Shavertown...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

I've been to Carmines in the theatre district. It's not really fancy but the food is great. Also there is Jeckyll and Hyyde Restaurant.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

Please assume that last post was a joke.

The River Cafe is nice, but if your girlfriend is a foodie or very experienced with New York, I might suggest another place for an impressive proposal.

How old are you guys and how long have you been together? Is she the sort of person who would like a public restaurant proposal, or would she be more into something private?

If you do choose the River Cafe, the Brooklyn Promenade just outside is a scenic and dramatic spot for a proposal. Various locations in Central Park would work, as well.

As for restaurants, One if By Land, Two if By Sea is the most popular proposal spot in the city. Personally, I think that Daniel is very romantic:

http://www.danielnyc.com/daniel/

Teesside
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

yeah no worries, Im 27 and weve been together for 4 years but friends for years before that, she's my best mate as well as my girlfriend. She's not really an expert in fine food and wines but she absolutely loves NYC, she's been several times an this will be my first time, its been an ambition of mine to go for years but for one reason or another I havent got round to it, until now! the river cafe looks special, I'm not sure she would like a public proposal but the idea of a really special restaurant and then going somewhere with amazing views would be perfect. I can't wait to get there now, getting a bit nervous about the whole thing too! I'll check out those other restaurants you reccommended too, the river cafe is the favourite so far though. thanks a lot for the advice, and thanks to everyone else who has replied so far

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

Michael, if you find yourself getting tongue-tied when it comes to the actual proposal, you could always go to Hersheys in Times Square and have the proposal put up in lights. On second thoughts, that might be a bit TOO public!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC in January, Restaurant for special occasion

Book the River Cafe earlyish so you've finished your meal by sunset.

You can then walk around to the ferry landing where you can admire the views and the sun setting over the city (you can also see the Statue of Liberty in the distance) you can propose there rather than in the restaurant.

The River Cafe is a small restaurant so you'll definitely not be able to do it privately at your table.

As far as your question about the views go, there isn't a bad table in the house. When you're booking you could ask for a window seat but bear in mind that you might not get one. That being said though you can still see the view from any table. I mentioed it was our wedding night when booking and we didn't get a window seat, we did last time though and that wasn't a particularly special day!

Here are my photos from when we went in March for the brunch

…photobucket.com/albums/…