We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant advice

Mississippi
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Restaurant advice

We are coming to New York on October 3. We have made few reservations because I would like to try some new restauarants. We are staying at the Rockerfeller Center Hotel, but are willing to take a taxi to try something new. We like French, Italian and American cuisine. Our only reservation is at the River Cafe, in part for the view. Please advise, particularly if you know of something more reasonable than this. Also, we would like a good Sunday morning brunch spot. We have been to Norma's in the past and would like to try something else. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant advice

I always think it's a good idea to try different neighborhoods for dinner so you get to see other parts of the city. So I'd look for restaurants in Soho, the village (Greenwich Village), Tribeca, Chelsea etc. and only eat in midtown if you're going to the theater. Yes, there are some very nice restaurants there, but there's so much more than midtown.

Brunch in NYC generally means a meal at 11:30-12 or later. Many places that are favorite brunch spots don't start serving til then. Since you say "morning brunch" and Norma's does start serving early (b/c it's in a hotel) I'm not sure what you mean. Town is in midtown, also in a hotel (the Chambers) and I'm told they have a great brunch and would serve earlier (also available thru opentable.com) Cookshop, Five Points, Balthazar, Pastis are downtown places known for good brunches

Mississippi
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant advice

We don't need earlier than 11:30-12:00 for brunch. We are planning on eating at Balthazar when we go to SoHo to shop. I would love a lunch recommendation in Midtown and a good dinner recommendation of French or Italian anywhere in Manhattan. Someone mentioned Cafe Gray for brunch. What do you think and which of those you mentioned do you like best. If you know of a good and reasonable dinner place as described above, please advise me. Thanks for your help.

P/S. We need our Sunday brunch spot in Midtown as we have a 5:30 airplane to catch.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant advice

Carmies is a popular Italian restaurant with a location in m-d town. It serves family style and is decently priced.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant advice

Advice please.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant advice

I do not believe Cafe Gray serves brunch or lunch. In the same building though is Landmarc, which has a delicious sounding brunch menu.

dublin,ireland
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant advice

One of the restaurants that we really enjoyed this year was Churrascarria Plataforma. I'm not a huge meat eater but they had an amazing platter of seafood at their starter bar and the meat that they did bring over was amazing according to my boyfriend.

We had been to Pastis for dinner and it was amazing and we were going to go back there for brunch but we didn't have time in the end, but it might be worth looking into it

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,384 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant advice

Lunch in midtown---where in midtown??? What kind of place/food? Are we talking great cuisine or quick stop inbetween shopping?

For midtown Sun. brunch, again where midtown, east or west?

I've not been to Cafe Gray, but Voy is correct, both their website and menupages indicates they only serve dinner, not even lunch during the week.

I would definitely go to the meatpacking district one night for dinner. There are tons of options. Pastis (owned by same folks as Balthazar) is French. There's Nero & Vento for Italian there. Go to the roof of the Gansevoort hotel for a drink while you're there.

AOC Bedford and Le Gigot are French bistros in the village that are good.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant advice

We are staying at the Rockefeller Center Hotel, so anywhere close enought to walk from there. I would like a nice lunch, not just a quick pickup - but not a huge meal as we will eat a nice meal each night. If we are already planning on Balthazar for a lunch, would Pastis be duplicative in terms of menu items? We don't mind taking a taxi at night, but would prefer lunch in the area, other than Balthazar when we go shopping in SoHo. We do love good Italian as well as French.

Our Sunday brunch or lunch needs to be in the general are of the hotel, as we have to catch a 5:30 plane.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant advice

i always enjoy the brunch at marseilles on 9th ave at 44th. you can sit outside if it's still nice when you're here.

i agree that pastis in the meatpacking district is great- will be packed for brunch on sunday i'm sure.

if you want a splurge nite for French, i highly recommend Fleur de Sel on 20th st.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,569 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant advice

For French I like Pigale at 48th and 8th. They have great mussels in a white wine sauce and Leffe blonde and brune on tap.

For brunch the Delta Grill, 700 9th Ave...

thedeltagrill.com/page/nzv8/Lunch_Brunch_Men…

...especially the blackened catfish and a Bloody Mary.

Pjk