We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New yorker ramanda hotel

uk
Level Contributor
173 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
New yorker ramanda hotel

We are a group of 4 (2 couples 40/50's ) staying for 4 nights at the New yorker from 6th Dec, there have been very mixed reviews and we are hoping the hotel is not as bad as some make it out to be. Is it in a good postion for seeing the sights and is the area fairly safe at night. I know we are near the Penn Station so we should be able to travel around on the subway ok. Also is it worth gettng the train from Jfk airport as the station is cloes to the hotel or would a taxi be a better option. It is our first visit to your city and we are all excited and looking forward to it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New yorker ramanda hotel

You are coming at an expensive time, but if you have the opportunity to change your hotel, I would consider it. If you can't change, just read the reviews carefully and get whatever tips you can from them. The hotel is conveniently located for tourists (near Macy's and lots of shopping, near the Empire STate building and near the subway). It's just not the most attractive area and it's not great for NICE nearby dining.

A taxi for all of you will cost ~ $60 ($45 fare plus toll $4, plus tip ~$10). If you were all to take the AirTrain/LIRR to Penn station it would be ~$13/person or $52. I'd take the taxi. The AirTrain/subway would be $7/person, but you'd have to carry luggage up and down stairs etc. to go that route.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New yorker ramanda hotel

I passed it the other day. The area is congested and the hotel was busy. poster buca45 has had friends who stayed there. I would not choose that location but for others it is fine. I think it's a matter of personal taste.

icf
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New yorker ramanda hotel

Hi there,

I stayed at the new yorker last november and found it fine,found the area VERY safe at night,

excellent coffee bar in foyer of the hotel,rooms cleaned daily,

check out kevin st james and social bars just up from the hotel on 8th avenue,

we caught a limousine from jfk at a cost of $129,

hope you have a great time,

regards,

Darren

uk
Level Contributor
173 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New yorker ramanda hotel

Thanks everyone for your replies they are very useful and have given us something to think about.

London
Level Contributor
144 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New yorker ramanda hotel

I stayed there in December last year - great location comfortable (but not posh) rooms. Would be happy to stay there again.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
270 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New yorker ramanda hotel

We stayed at this hotel last December just for one night. I would stay again below is my review!

Walked into Lobby - very nice, beautifully decorated for the holidays.

Desk staff very nice and friendly.

We had two rooms because there were seven of us we had to split up four in one room and then three of us in another – opened up the door to our room and wow room had an incredibly horrible smell of body odor. Called front desk and there was just no where to move us - - sent housekeeping up and she couldn’t smell it but we certainly could. After several calls to the front desk we were told they could put us in a room with a double bed and a pull out sofa – fine we will be down to get the keys. Hotel was nice – Lobby was very nice and the rooms were a little dated but other than showering and sleeping we didn’t spend any time in the room. Went down and were helped by the lady at the VIP desk – told her the problem and no big deal we were switched to another room with two double beds and a nice view of the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. I would stay here again just because of its convenient location to the train station and where we wanted to be in the city. They did charge a fee for storing your luggage $4.50 when you drop it off and $4.50 when you pick it up.

TBay, ON
Level Contributor
5 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New yorker ramanda hotel

I don't want to appear dense or anything, but having never been to NYC and poking around for accommodations....I did just want to clarify that you are referring to the New Yorker RAMADA, correct?

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
868 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: New yorker ramanda hotel

Yes, they are speaking of the New Yorker Ramada on 8th Avenue and 34th Street.

As I have posted before, I have had three groups of friends who have stayed here and all have reported back to me that they enjoyed their stays there.

You do have to keep in mind that the hotel is undergoing a complete renovation which is nice to see as it is a great example of art deco design.

During this past weekend, I had an opportunity to walk through the lobby and see it has had work done recently and it is beautiful!! There is a section of the lobby that shows how the renvotation is coming and pictures of renovated room and plans for even more renovations.

From what I understand, a few areas of the hotel have been renovated recently and rooms are now being released for booking.

Also, the exterior seems to have finished being sandblasted and spruced up and there is even new signage for the hotel.

I plan on staying there on upcoming visits to NYC over the following one to two months and will be able to write hopefully great reviews of the place.

IMO, this is an excellent place to stay as public transportation and Penn Station is nearby. Cant get a better location than that!!

Bremerton...
Level Contributor
333 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New yorker ramanda hotel

buca, as you have helped me before with New Yorker questions, I look forward to hearing from you after your visit (esp. if it is before Dec. 9!) Thanks also for the update on renovations.

10. Re: New yorker ramanda hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 09:18