We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to watch Rugby World Cup

Woking, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Places to watch Rugby World Cup

Hello!

I'm travelling to NYC with my boyfriend in a few days, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a bar or pub where we could watch the England v France rugby game on Saturday.

I didn't think that I would have this query as I never though that England would beat the Aussies to get to the semi-final!

Many thanks in advance.

Anna_Bee

Mentioned in this post
UK
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Places to watch Rugby World Cup

All my family want to watch the final. I have 2 daughters aged 14 and 16 - will they be allowed in any of the bars?

Thanks

Simon

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Places to watch Rugby World Cup

Gatsbys on Spring Street near Mott (www.gatsbysnyc.com) took table reservations for the England soccer World Cup matches, so maybe give them a call. But most places I doubt you will be able to reserve tables - getting there an hour or two beforehand might be the only option (especially if bringing children - once the tables are full, the bar can probably deny their entry). The bars are going to be packed as mentioned by the previous poster who tried to get into McCormacks and the Irish Rogue. If you do manage to score a table, please do the bar a favor and order food/drink. They get no money from the $20 entry fee and are working harder on these one off games then their regular business.

The biggest bar(size-wise) showing the match is probably Stout's on 33rd b/w 6th & 7th Ave - near Madison Sq. Garden. But I don't know if they will be using all their rooms for the match, or just a portion.

Mentioned in this post
Madison
Madison
Wisconsin
Brooklyn
1 post
Save Reply
33. Re: Places to watch Rugby World Cup

How about near downtown Brooklyn?

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Places to watch Rugby World Cup

I tried several Brooklyn zipcodes on the venue finder and this is the only one that came up.

Bar/Venue Sheep Station

Address 149 Fourth Avenue (Corner Douglass Street)

City Brooklyn, NY 11217

Phone 718-857-4337

Website www.sheepstation.net

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
new york
1 post
Save Reply
35. Re: Places to watch Rugby World Cup

Yeah the best place to go is Brass Monkey bar, its located in the meatpacking. www.brassmonkeynyc.com, they are putting up extra screen's for the final.

Mentioned in this post
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey
204 Reviews
New York City, NY
Astoria
6 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Places to watch Rugby World Cup

Just FYI, Baker Street Pub charges a $20 cover charge to watch the Rugby.

We only found that out when we arrived for the game between South Africa and Argentina this past Saturday.

We thought a $20 charge in addition to the money one would spend on drinks while watching the game, was a little steep.

So we just headed home to catch it on Pay-per-view and bought our own beer.

I think it is a little exploitative to charge $20 when people are going to spend money in your establishment too. $10 I would not have minded so much, but considering the game is about $20 on Pay-per-view, that is still far cheaper than the $80 it would have cost us to just ENTER the pub.

So just be forewarned, if you are willing to pay $20, go for it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Places to watch Rugby World Cup

Eliza - the bar gets zero dollars of the $20 admission. It all goes to the satellite signal provider, Setanta Sports. The person collecting the money at the door is an employee of Setanta, not the bar.

I think $20 is steep too, but Setanta spent a lot of money in order to win the rights to show these matches, and I imagine they want to earn their money back (with a nice profit of course). Don't blame the bars...

Astoria
6 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Places to watch Rugby World Cup

Remember rugby vans, you will face a $20 cover charge at all Pubs in New York for the match as it is a closed circuit Setanta broadcast and the broadcast company has a $20 door cover. The pubs are not charging the fee, the broadcasting company is, since they hold the monopoly on the World Cup final game.

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
6 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Places to watch Rugby World Cup

Yes, MSNNYC, I just found that out, it was NOT explained to us when we arrived there, I just now heard what the real story was from a number of bars that I have been enquiring of about this, (as per my revised post).

What would have been nice is if the bars made mention of this on their website when they advertise the game, to prevent dissapointed fans from turning up at the bar and then finding out they have to pay so much money to see the game.

The Bar is providing the venue and is also making money on the punters who come to see the game, so it is not a complete financial loss for them.

What I am saying is that full disclosure in advertising and promotion is always appreciated BEFORE arrival, more than a nasty surprise when you are planning something like going to the pub to see a game...

That is why I am posting it here, so people know what to expect and not have to miss the first half of the game running home to catch it on Pay per view...

40. Re: Places to watch Rugby World Cup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 11:19