We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Best Burger & Steaks, Please.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
420 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Best Burger & Steaks, Please.

Arriving on the 26th oct for 3 nights, looking for places to eat. We have been recommended P J Clark's for burgers and Gallagher's for steaks, after reading the reviews on menupages neither of them are getting a great write up, can you help? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Best Burger & Steaks, Please.

Ottomanelli New York Grill ($$)

Italian, Burgers

1424 Lexington Ave, New York 10128

At 93rd St

Around this area you can walk over to the the famous Park avenue and Madison avenue. Famous for beautiful, expensive townhouses. Some of the most wealthest people in New York live here. You will also find expensive shops at this point as well. Designer boutique etc.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Best Burger & Steaks, Please.

Hi soo. I don't like Gallaghers, but the burger at PJ Clarke's (the original location on 3rd ave. & 55th st.) I think is pretty good, the place is historic, but it's not, imo, the best. Believe it or not, these questions have been asked before. ;) And, believe it or not, everyone has their own favorite(s). Here are a few threads on each but if you want to read more, you can put the words in the search box and find more or visit one of the foodie websites like chowhound.com. There are also lots of 'best of' lists online.

For burgers:

a mega thread with lots of links

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1424710…

more votes

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1157407…

Burger Joint in the Parker Meridien is considered the best by many.

For steaks, it seems as though even the top places have a problem with consistency. You can go to a place once and have a great meal and then next time it may not be so great. I think that's what happened to me with Gallaghers, I had 1 too many not great experiences and the old deaf waiters who think they're doing you a favor don't help. The right steakhouse, I think, is somewhat depends on what cut of steak you like. Some places are known for porterhouse (Peter Luger's in Brooklyn), others for sirloin. Here's a list I found online that addresses a few of who's known for what

…about.com/od/restaurants/tp/steakhouses.htm

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k711354-…

I haven't been to all of them, but I like Bobby Van's, Spark's, Keen's, the Strip House.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
420 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Best Burger & Steaks, Please.

Thanks for your help, will look at the threads.

NY
Level Contributor
778 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Best Burger & Steaks, Please.

I recommend Pipers Kilt and Jackson Hole for burgers.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Best Burger & Steaks, Please.

We had a fantastic meal on Christmas Eve in 2005 at Frankie and Johnnie's on....44th street? 42nd street? Somewhere around there. Steaks were cooked to perfection, atmosphere was...old school, I'd say. We enjoyed it, service was very good considering it was the last shift on Christmas Eve, as soon as we were finished, the entire staff sat down to have dinner together and they all got up and shook our hands when we left, wishing us a Merry Christmas. We almost picked Gallagher's that night instead. I've read the reviews of both as well and they go either way, just like everywhere else.

I think it's just going to be one of those you have to be in the right place at the right time things...good luck!!

6. Re: Recommendations for Best Burger & Steaks, Please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 15:17