We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pricey souvenir, but choice!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pricey souvenir, but choice!

Got ninety bucks to burn? Lookin' for a stylish souvenir? Check dis out:

lovegroverepucci.com/collection-new-york-del…

Ya gotta love the hot-dog cart on the cup!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pricey souvenir, but choice!

If this really is Delft ware, how do you say "Wild Style tag" in Dutch?

I clicked around and found a graffittied delivery truck on page 5.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pricey souvenir, but choice!

What a strange selection of items to use as symbols of NYC (a graffiti covered truck and a hot dog stand). I'm afraid it doesn't do it for me but, then again, what would? Put the ESB or SoL on the plates and no-one would fork out $90 for something they may perceive as too "touristy".

Any thoughts as to what could go on the plates that was a) quintessentially NYC but b) not touristy?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pricey souvenir, but choice!

It's precisely the subversiveness of the hot-dog cart and the graffiti-covered truck that I like. It keeps the "Delftness" from taking itself too seriously. Don't know that I'd shell out $90 for an entire place setting. But $20 for a cup and saucer? Sure.

I do understand what you're saying, Nic. With so many richly-ornamented buildings from the '20s and '30s to provide inspiration, what about a line of Art Deco dinnerware? It wouldn't look kitschy if you chose your motifs carefully and applied them with restraint. (You'd want to avoid anything too familiar, such as the zig-zags of the Chrysler roof, or the skating rink's gold Prometheus.)

Have you ever been in the lobby of the Chanin building? The Chanin is fresh in my mind because I was there last week. Fantastic. You could borrow one or two decorative elements from the Chanin, and bingo. Instant dinnerware. It would say "Manhattan" without bonking you over the head.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pricey souvenir, but choice!

I really don't understand this fascination that certain Europeans have with graffiti vandalism. Do you know that the NYPD regularly arrests Europeans who come over to NYC SPECIFICALLY to vandalize buildings here with graffiti? Weird....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pricey souvenir, but choice!

Don't agree with vandalism or encourage it, but the tags on the Delft look great. And a talking point at the dinner table!

GWB, I know in Melbourne they have released art books based around graffiti artists who are Melbourne locals.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pricey souvenir, but choice!

Slate, you're probably right and, thank you, "kitsch" is exactly the "bon mot". A plate with the ESB would be just too kitschy.

I've never been inside the Chanin building but I might just be hanging around the lobby in May next year.

My thought was the geographical opposite of yours - the tops of buildings as opposed to the bottom. How about the tops of the Radiator building, the RCA building, Standard Oil at 26 Broadway with 40 Wall Street and 70 Pine Street. Then again we could have "demolished" NYC: the Singer Building, Penn Station and Stanford White's Madison Square Garden.

GWB, not sure to whom you were referring: "I really don't understand this fascination that certain Europeans have with graffiti vandalism"?

Boston...
Level Contributor
239 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pricey souvenir, but choice!

This is not Delft. Delft is made in Delft, The Netherlands and each piece has it's own particular tag on the bottom with the word delft written on it. As the proud owner of some Delft, I think I am correct.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pricey souvenir, but choice!

Nic, read this:

nydailynews.com/news/2006/12/12/2006-12-12_g…

or this:

…wordpress.com/2006/…

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pricey souvenir, but choice!

GWB - thanks for that fine example of balanced journalism! It's almost like reading The Sun. I note that Transit Bureau Chief James Hall disagrees with Lt. Mona's estimate that 70% of all attacks are by Europeans - "a little on the high end" he says euphemistically before admitting to there having been 5 arrests of foreigners for spray-painting. Hardly a crime wave!

Mind you, The Daily News does go on to blame the Scandinavians so maybe there is some truth in it after all - we know what a bunch of troublemakers they can be!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pricey souvenir, but choice!

Well Nic, there was that incident with the mermaid in Copenhagen....