We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

Blowing Rock, North...
Level Contributor
57 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

How long and how much do you think it will cost? Thank you

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

Both price and time will depend on traffic and traffic will depend on day/time. If you were to leave at 5:30 on a weekday, it could take an hour and cost $25 or more b/c you'd be in rush hour. If you leave at 6:30, it might take 20 mins and cost $15-20.

Hopstop estimates 30 mins. and $13 but I think that's conservative.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

Go to hopstop.com, you can get taxi times and cost estimates. I have never taken a cab there, so I'm not sure of the cost.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

$13 does seem too little, my guess is closer to $20 - $25.

Blowing Rock, North...
Level Contributor
57 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

Thank you, this was helpful. We have a 6:30 reservation on a Friday. I guess we'd need to leave around 5:30 from our hotel?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

If this is happening before Nov. 4 when the clocks change, consider leaving a bit early (maybe before 5) so you can get a look at the sunset from the bar at the restaurant. If it's after Nov 4, the sun sets pretty early (before 5) so maybe leave at 5:30 or so. YOu might want to consider ordering a car service since it can be difficult to find a taxi from 5-6, esp. if this is getting close to the holidays. It will cost more, but you won't have to worry about finding a cab. Dial7.com is one option.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

My best advice to you is actually to take the #2 or #3 subway to Clark Street. If you do not want to walk all the way down the hill to the restaurant, cross Clark Street, and also cross Henry Street. Walk the short distance to the end of Clark Street, and turn right one block. You will come to the end of Clinton Street, where Clinton makes a sharp turn to run into wide Tillary Street. There will be an endless stream of taxis coming up Clinton to get on Tillary and to go to the Brooklyn Bridge. Get in a cab, and -- AFTER getting in -- tell him "just turn left right here onto Cadman Plaza West; we are going down to the River Cafe at the very bottom of the hill, by the water." This will be a very short cab ride, although a lady in high heels may appreciate not negtiating the hill. The big advantage here, beside the money saved, is the enormous saving in time -- you do not need to worry about the tied up traffic one often finds on the Broklyn Bridge.

Mentioned in this post
The Tillary Hotel
The Tillary Hotel
498 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn Bridge
Brooklyn Bridge
16,520 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Plaza
The Plaza
2,544 Reviews
New York City, NY
The River Cafe
The River Cafe
3,432 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Blowing Rock, North...
Level Contributor
57 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

Thank you Thank you Thank you

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

Wow - alot of heavy advice!

We stayed in Murray Hill (Morgan) and went to the River cafe for our anniversary, totally hassle free by taxi (nice Sikh driver both ways).

A stunning experience - enjoy!

If this isn't the best part of your stay, I want to know what is (...and yes, we did do the ESB, heli, boat, EI, SoL, CP, museums and stuff).

Mentioned in this post
Murray Hill Diner
Murray Hill Diner
520 Reviews
New York City, NY
The River Cafe
The River Cafe
3,432 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

GWB, they're in Murray Hill, not near the 2/3. They'd need a taxi or crosstown bus to Penn station.

Mentioned in this post
Murray Hill Diner
Murray Hill Diner
520 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi ride from hotel in Murray Hill to River Cafe

Not a problem at all -- take the 4 or 5 to Borough Hall. One can either get out and look for a cab there (not recommended, but not impossible) or change for the 2/3 heading heading towards Manahttan and take it one stop.(isn't that a strange place to change? No, because it is very easy to change there)