We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Day February Family Blitz

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
772 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
3 Day February Family Blitz

We are thinking of a quick jaunt to NYC in mid Feb 08. What must do's would you recommend for a family of four (2girls ages 10 and 15) this time of year?

We are hoping to ice skate outside and do a horse drawn carriage ride around central park I believe it is. But other than that and catching a Broadway/Off Broadway show perhaps, what would you suggest?

Mentioned in this post
CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
772 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Day February Family Blitz

also....What is there to do on Sunday? Does everything close early?

CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
772 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Day February Family Blitz

....another addendum....what about January? Is it nice and snowy?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Day February Family Blitz

It's hard to know about the weather. Some winters have been balmy in January and then we get snow in April.

Not sure if you have visited before but there are many things you could do and not sure what your girls are really into but you could always do some museums (Museum of Natural History can be a big hit with kids, planetarium, many art museums, Tenement museum about NY immigrant history, Museum of the City of NY, Transit Museum etc...).

I have taken my cousins to the Times Sq Toys R Us to ride the indoor Ferris Wheel (ok I like to ride it!), there are places like Dylans Candy Store and Serendipity which are popular with kids for sugar-shock. There is an MTV store in Times Sq. Obviously lots of shopping if the girls are into that--discount stores or maybe places like H&M if you don't have that at your local mall already.

You could do a culinary tour and sample food from different parts of the world. You could ride the 7 train to Queens and visit the panorama of the city at the Queens Museum of Art plus pass through some of the most ethnically diverse neighborhoods in the city.

You could do the traditional 5th avenue window shopping, visits to St. patrick's cathedral, Top of the Rock observation area, Empire State Building, Grand Central Station.

People often try to dissuade visitors from the carriage rides. Really expensive for what you get and if its chilly it may not be that fun.

I always like to recommend hiring a private tour guide to do a historical walk around one of the neighborhoods you might not otherwise visit. I have hired Michelle Nevius in the past when family has visited. http://www.walknyc.com/tours.htm

Hopefully this gives you some ideas to start with. But let us know what you and your family are interested in and maybe we can be more specific.

Mentioned in this post
Tenement Museum
Tenement Museum
5,775 Reviews
New York City, NY
Museum of the City of New York
Museum of the City of...
862 Reviews
New York City, NY
Dylan's Candy Bar
Dylan's Candy Bar
246 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
Queens Museum
Queens Museum
181 Reviews
Flushing, NY
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
70,058 Reviews
New York City, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,238 Reviews
New York City, NY
Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Day February Family Blitz

To answer some of your questions. If you are intersted in seeing a show, there should be plenty of discounts available. Go to Broadwaybox.com and check the discounted shows. But don't bother checking until after Christmas vacation. The discounts have a 4 to 8 week period that they last. Avoid MLK weekend and Valentine's weekend or President's weekend, as some of those dates may be blacked out for the discount. On the other hand, you may do better with a Sunday show.

Sunday, everything is open. Hey, it's New York. It never closes. Actually some things will be different. Some shows will have only a matinee, others may have only an early evening show. A lot of shopping will close at six that might otherwise be open later during the week and especially on Saturday. But you willhave no problem finding a restaurant. Museum and attractions will all be open during the day. Check Sunday hours, to be sure.

Snow...this is not Cleveland. There is no lake and the sun shines pretty regularly,albeit through the buildings. It may snow when you are there, but there is no time that it is expected, and it does not stick around unless there happens to be a good cold snap. It is more likely to turn to ugly brown slush after a day or two.

Ice skating outdoors. Rockefeller Center is expensive. Wollman Rink in Central Park is an easy walk in from 5th Avenue or 59th Street, and is a lot less expensive. And while Rock has its own charm, Central park is a beautiful setting with the park around you and the buildings rising up all around. Central park is much larger, but there are a lot more people. If you are good skaters and particular about what you have on your feet, you may want to bring your own skates, if that is an option luggage-wise. Rock may have better rentals, but the last time I saw Central park, the rentals were looking pretty good.

Walk around Greenwich Village during the day. Your girls will love the trendy shops. Maybe start as high up as 14th street. Urban Outfitters is at the corner of 14th and 6th Avenue. Then head down 6th, stop for a slice of pizza at Ray's (10th St?), a NY institution. Check out the shops down between 8th St and Bleeker, walk around that area east of 6th Ave, or get lost in the chopped up streets west of 6th Ave.

China Town is also a fun neighborhood to walk around. Life is happening on the street and in all these little shops and restaurants. If you have a meal there, avoid any place that looks fancy. The best places are simple, plain places. You can walk from China Town into Little Italy, maybe find a place for dessert.

Mentioned in this post
Rockefeller Center
Rockefeller Center
21,425 Reviews
New York City, NY
Wollman Rink
Wollman Rink
79 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
114,385 Reviews
New York City, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,238 Reviews
New York City, NY
Greenwich Village
Greenwich Village
3,499 Reviews
New York City, NY
Cafe China
Cafe China
434 Reviews
New York City, NY
Little Italy
Little Italy
3,191 Reviews
New York City, NY
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Day February Family Blitz

American Museum of Nat'l History:Sonic Vision show! the music is great,the light show fantastic..get 2 for one tickets on web site.

that museum is fantastic:something for everyone,24/7/365! I have never grown tired of it(and have been visiting since 1960!)

middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Day February Family Blitz

hi i visited new york for the first time in may, if i had my time again i would do the rocker fella centre fist then central park while your in central park it's a must that you see the john lennon bit of the park not that i was a fan it's very interesting good luck on you trip

middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Day February Family Blitz

sorry i forgot i went to see hairspray it was fantastic it's for all young and old

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Day February Family Blitz

Great suggestions so far!

In the FAQ "sticky" at the top of this forum is a whole bunch of info, including top things to do, a guide to the subway, a winter guide, and how to buy show tix. At the bottom of the FAQ are collections of trip reports by recent visitors. Most were first-timers on short trips. Steal an itinerary!

Personally, I agree with Museum of Natural History and Planetarium, a show like "Hairspray", "Altar Boyz" or "Legally Blonde.", ice skating, TOTR or ESB observatories - but it will be WINDY!!! - some of our smaller historical museums, and some tween shopping at Ricky's Cosmetics and H&M. Times Square will have Toys R Us, M&M store, and other mesmerizing temples of commerce. Keep them up late and go at night.

If there is art or an artist they've learned about in school, like say Van Gogh, or some historical thing, like Ancient Greece, def take them to the Met Museum or the MOMA to see the real live stuff in person!

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,136 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
The Museum of Modern Art...
15,464 Reviews
New York City, NY
CLEVELAND
Level Contributor
772 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Day February Family Blitz

Thank you so much for all the replies!

10. Re: 3 Day February Family Blitz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2007, 16:19