We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CT to NYC, Best Route?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
166 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
CT to NYC, Best Route?

My wife and I are making a drive from Middletown, CT down to the NYC area tomorrow. Actually, we are heading to North Bergen, NJ, but I figured I'd be more likely to get a response here in the NYC forum.

I've never been a big fan of I-95, as the traffic tends to be unpredictable. But would I-95 be our best bet, or should we consider something else.

We'll be travelling between 8am and 11am (heading home around 1pm). I was thinking:

Rt15 in CT to

Hutchinson Pkwy, to

Cross County Pkwy, to

Saw Mill River Pkwy, to

Henry Hudson Pkwy, to

the George Washington Bridge

Another thought was to stay north and go across the Tappan Zee Bridge then cut down on the Palisades Pkwy...although that seems it could add 20-30 minutes to the drive.

So what's my best bet with weekend traffic?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: CT to NYC, Best Route?

I live in Meriden just adjacent to Middletown. The route you list is exactly what we take when we occasionally drive in (usually use MetroNorth).

Traffic is so unpredictable - I would stick with the original plan.

It is supposed to rain all day tomorrow so take that into account - may slow traffic down.

Have a safe trip.

Poppa

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CT to NYC, Best Route?

I live in Fairfield County and head to NJ frequently to the shore. Your first route is our regular recommendation; and if you are travelling on Sat you should be fine. Listen to all the am traffic reports and be ready to switch to another crossing if needed. If you were travelling on a weekday, I would have strongly recommended that you change your travel times.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
166 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CT to NYC, Best Route?

Thanks for the responses. Hoping the worst of the rain stays east, but it does look breezy for tomorrow. What station has the best traffic reports?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: CT to NYC, Best Route?

WTIC AM-1080 - they get their info from the National Weather Service.

Good luck with the weather.

Poppa

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: CT to NYC, Best Route?

If you are goign to NJ, i would suggest taking the Tappan Zee bridge and avoid going through the city.

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CT to NYC, Best Route?

On the route he is looking out, they will actually skirt the city on the west side highway (I know technically in the Bronx and Manhattan but its usually okay, especially on a Sat/Sun).

We program our am radio for 1010 (traffic and weather "on the 10's" i.e 10 minute increments)

880-traffic on the eights (eight minute periods.)

and I think the other one we use is 1180-Traffic on the five minute increments.

Being Jersey shore regulars, we are a bit fanatical about checking the river crossings especially during the summer.

7. Re: CT to NYC, Best Route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 04:18