We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Train from JFK to upper west.

cambridge
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Air Train from JFK to upper west.

Can anyone help me with a question I have as to how we get to upper west, Astor on the Park. I understand to take the airtrain from JFK then change trains to go to Penn Station. Where do we go from there? I have looked at the map and cannot work out which line is which. The blue line (not sure which one that is) appears to go up to our hotel so do we need to change at Penn Station? Any help appreciated.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Train from JFK to upper west.

Use hopstop.com for the exact day you're traveling. You only have to go to Penn station if you change to the Long Island railroad. Depends on time of day and day of week you're traveling as to whether it's worth it.

In GENERAL terms

Option 1

AirTrain $5 to Jamaica to LIRR ~$7-9 to Penn station then A or C subway $2 uptown (don't know what stop would be closest to your hostel) Total ~ $14-16/person

Option 2

AirTrain change to E train subway to subway C train uptown Total $7/person

OPtion 3

Express Bus to Port Authority bus terminal ($15/person) to A or C subway uptown $17/person

I'd opt for the bus unless you're arriving in rush hour. I think it's easier.

cambridge
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Train from JFK to upper west.

We will be arriving around 16.00hrs so I guess that is rush hour. In that case I guess a taxi will cost quite alot.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Train from JFK to upper west.

No, taxi fare is a fixed price of $45 plus toll $4 and tip or about $60 total.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Train from JFK to upper west.

a taxi is a flat fee of $45 plus toll and tip whatever time of day you travel.

cambridge
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Train from JFK to upper west.

Thanks for your help. I've just tried hopstop and printed off the details and I think that will do fine. Maybe take a cab back when we are loaded with bags!! Will be arriving Thursday and can't come quick enough. This site has been invaluable in helping plan our trip. My second time but my husbands first time so had to plan so I could shop while he does all the bits I have already done. Lots more that I want to see and do hope we can fit most in.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Train from JFK to upper west.

If you take a taxi, DON'T ACCEPT RIDES FROM ANYONE IN OR DIRECTLY OUTSIDE THE TERMINAL. Only use real NYC yellow taxis from the taxi stand-queue-rank.

Read all about taxis in these links from the FAQ "sticky" at the top of this forum

HOW DO I HAIL A TAXI? Taxis and rental cars:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s304/New-York-… New-York-City:New-York:Taxis.And.Rental.Cars.html

HOW DO I GET FROM JFK OR LGA TO MANHATTAN? Arrival and departure transportation:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s301/New-York-… New-York-City:New-York:Arriving.And.Departing.html

7. Re: Air Train from JFK to upper west.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 14:16