We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Derry, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in NYC for formal dresses

Our 16 year old daughter is looking to get a formal dress for her graduation party when we are in NYC for Christmas. Does anyone know where she could pick-up one. Most importantly for me who is paying - where can she pick up one at a bargin price?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,735 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in NYC for formal dresses

Loehmann's (discount clothing store) often has good buys but if her graduation is in the spring, you might find things in the stores now are too wintery.

With the strong exchange rate for you, dept. stores like Macy's, Bloomingdales and Lord & Taylor (all of whom offer visitors some sort of discount if you register at their service desk before shopping) will also have things.

Here's one of many previous posts on prom dresses

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1018181…

Derry, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in NYC for formal dresses

Thanks NYWhiz

The exchange rate is excellent I got £1=$2.12 but unfortunately I'm flying out of Dublin and Irish customs have announced a crackdown as so many Irish are going to NY for Christmas shopping.

Disappointing for my wife and daughter as they planned to take an empty suitcase each for their shopping. Good news for me althought I bet they take the tags off and and smile going through customs.

Does anyone know if I am coming through Dublin but going to Northern Ireland can I refuse to pay duty as I'm only in transit and not importing the goods into Ireland but into the UK.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
421 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in NYC for formal dresses

hi returned into ireland (Shannon) from NYC last tuesday and there was no problem with customs even though we were all worried. And i had bought all my Christmas shopping. THe big problem is to remember that your cases are not overweight as many travellers were charged extra for heavy cases. Last Christmas i was also with my daughter and she too wanted a graduation dress which she eventually bought in bloomingdales as their choice was brilliant. If you get to tHE jERSEY gARDENS mall there are also two very good formal dress shops not to mention the other big department stores such as Last call at Neiman Marcus, Saks off 5th, Marshalls or Cohoes. The rate of the $ is SO good. You are also allowed bring into the country E175 worth of goods which is almost $350. good luck and let us know hou you get on

4. Re: Shopping in NYC for formal dresses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 15:20