We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in December

Louisiana
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weather in December

I will be in NYC the weekend of the 14th and was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of what the weather is usually like @ this time. For packing purposes what do you recommend I bring?

Thanks

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in December

Very cold, bring lots of layers.

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in December

have a look at www.wunderground.com - it gives you a history of years gone past as well as a good 15 day forecast.

I'd recommend layers tho so when you're in and out of buildings you can take some stuff off otherwise you'll be boiling :)

The Universe
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in December

Weather in NYC is like anywhere else - difficult to predict - historical data is not really a reliable option - every year is different.

Traditionally December is cold. The recommendations on layers is good - however I would check the weather channel website for the most accurate (if there is such a thing) forecasts prior to your visit.

Today it's cold - a couple of days ago it was unseasonably mild - so you see, it's day to day!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in December

Thank you....I am in the process of buying heavy outerwear now.

NYC
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in December

if i can suggest buying something made of down and that is waterproof-- snow melts and don't forget good shoes. walking through brown slush is never fun!

also, down packs really well, you can fold it up or use it as a pillow on your flight!

enjoy your trip!

A Southern State
Level Contributor
275 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in December

My hands got really cold last weekend - I wore two pair of cheap knit gloves. (Target has two pairs for $2 or less - you'll see the same gloves sold on the street for $3+ per pair.)

It's fun to buy scarves, ear warmers, etc. in NY, but bring a supply.

And I heartily "Amen" bringing water/rain/snow proof outer layer and that your coat is handy on the plane!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in December

Thank you for your responses.

Nyc (Upper West...
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in December

Here is a link for the day-by-day averages for NYC in December. It gives the average high and low for the day and also the all time high and low so you can see the extreme.

weather.com/outlook/…

9. Re: Weather in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 11:16