We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some advice.. (Please!)

St. Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
220 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Need some advice.. (Please!)

Here is my dilema...

I am flying out of Tampa to Newark on Thursday at 6:25pm, arriving at 9:10pm.

I keep checking the weather reports and I keep getting mixed reviews. Some say snow & rain, others do not.

So I called JetBlue to possibly change into JFK at an earlier time. She wasn't sure what to do. She said there were tons of delays yesterday (9 flights delayed to JFK).

So not knowing what time the delays may hit.. should I change to a noon flight with the hopes of getting in earlier to JFK before hand or stay with the late flight to Newark and maybe not be able to make it?!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,099 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
970 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
1. Re: Need some advice.. (Please!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 07:10
St. Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
220 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some advice.. (Please!)

Not sure if I am reading the site correctly but that shows for September 07. No snow and ice then so not sure that will help me :-D

Any other advice? Anyone, Bueller,... ?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some advice.. (Please!)

I don't think we have all the info to make a decision for you. It's always better imo to take an earlier flight so why didn't you do that to begin with? I'm assuming it had to do with work. Can you get off earlier? Is there room on the earlier flight? Would you have to pay more? What exactly are you asking us?

St. Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
220 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some advice.. (Please!)

NYWhiz... to answer:

Why I didn't do so initially was because my nephew is travelling with me. I just found out now he is taking the day off of school. My work is more flexible.

yes there is room, price isn't that bad. I am asking with snow and rain history in the past between earlier and later flights.. if Newark is better than JFK, etc..

I am also asking if locals may have a better knowledge of what the weather will be.

Just advice based on experience.. that is all.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some advice.. (Please!)

Generally, when there are weather delays, all local airports are affected. Professional meteorologists -- with millions of dollars of equipment -- can't accurately predict the weather, so we average folks can't do it any better. What does weather.com say?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some advice.. (Please!)

The forecast for Thursday isn't good, you're right about that. Check the official once here - it also tells you when the next update should be:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=New+York&state=NY&site=OKX&textField1=40.7198&textField2=-73.993

St. Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
220 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some advice.. (Please!)

kateoz, thanks!

This seems more detailed of a report.

Weather.com keeps changing and it doesn't seem to match to the other sites.

This helps. Looks like we may have some delays.

Ok this is going to come off as a stupid question but since I live in Florida, my memory isn't serving me well.

Will a plane land if it is snowing in general? I am not asking about visibility etc.. but as a general question. I know I have landed with snow on the ground but never remember landing during an actual snowfall.

Wed looks so much better, now I wish I was coming in a day earlier. Not sure I want to add a 450 a night room plus 200 plane charge. uggg

I am trying to make this special for my nephews bday and if we lose a day, I will be so bummed.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,378 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some advice.. (Please!)

Looking on flightstats.com/go/…flightRatingByRoute.do

if you're flying Jet Blue, they don't have a good ontime record at Newark I would switch and fly into JFK which is slightly better and fly earlier in the day if you can. Yes, they'll land in snow as long as visibility is ok.

St. Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
220 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some advice.. (Please!)

Thank you.. I am going to go ahead and change it now and eat the 200 bucks with a chance of not missing my flight.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need some advice.. (Please!)

Speaking as someone who lives in Minnesota, yes, planes do land when it is snowing.

Just keep in mind, when there are delays, as the day goes on, the backlog keeps getting longer. Even if the weather clears up in the afternoon, all those people who were delayed in the morning need to be accommodated. And that is just for people departing. Since you will be arriving, your plane probably will be delayed from taking off, since everything at Newark will be backed up.

At least JetBlue won't leave you on the tarmac for nine hours anymore; not after last year! Small comfort, I know, but...

You just have to be prepared to roll with the punches.