We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far from upper east side

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
how far from upper east side

HI, how far is upper east side to the major attractions? I'm coming to new york in february for 5 nights and staying in 500 E 62 st. I've read reviews on this site of our hotel (Bentley) and they seem good, but quite a few say its out of the way and quite a walk to the subway. How long would it take to walk to, say, Times Square from where we're staying? We're coming from Scotland for a once in a lifetime trip and don't fancy spending ages a day travelling? Also is there a bus maybe, that would take us to Midtown? How long would this take to get there?

Also, could you recommend good places to eat (i'm a veggie and like the pretend meat, also love indian and italian, and would love to try a great macaroni cheese)

Any other tips about what to do in nyc would be apprecicated!

many thanks

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how far from upper east side

The location is about a 10-minute walk to the nearest subway. There's an entrance to the N, R, W at 3rd Ave. and 60th St., just outside of Bloomingdale's. You can also get the Lexington line, 4, 5, 6, there. So you're well connected realy. To get to Times Square, you can take the 4, 5, 6 to Grand Central and transfer for the Shuttle to Times Square (1 stop). Or you can just take the N, R, W directly to Times Square.

While E. 62nd is considered the upper east side, it's sort of the border of midtown, so you aren't "out of the way."

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,765 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how far from upper east side

I would not worry at all about travel time, you are not far at all. Just make sure you pick up a metrocard for the bus and subway to save you time & money !

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how far from upper east side

The Bentley is at the corner of 62nd Street and York Avenue, near the East River, immediately south of Rockefeller University and just north of the Queensborough Bridge. I would guess that you are about a half mile walk from the big subway station (4 and 5 express, 6 local on the Lexington Avenue line; also the N, R, and W on the Broadway BMT) at Lexington Avenue and 59th Street. In the system of numbering Avenues, York would count as "1/2" (it is east of First Avenue) and Lexington would count as "Third and one half", as it was inserted later between Third Avenue and Park Avenue, which was originally called Fourth Avenue. The dividing liine between the east side of Midtown and the Upper East Side is 59th Street -- and there is more than enough north of 59th Street to see anyway, including most of the major museums and all of Central Park. If you wanted to get to Times Square and the western parts of midtown, the easiest thing to do from that hotel would be to walk to the subway at Lexington, and take the N, R, or W directly to Times Square/42nd Street. Those trains also go to Herald Square (34th Street) where Macy's is, and where many other shops can be found. To get to Rockefeller Center, take the #6 downtown to 51st Street, then change for the V heading down Sixth Avenue.

While the hotel is a little further east than most, it really is not out all that of the way at all.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,063 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how far from upper east side

It's not so far north of the main midtown area, it's very far east. Would not have been my reco for a Feb. stay since it is farther than most places to a subway stop, but there's bus service you can use should it get very cold. Have a look at the subway map here. The nearest stops are Lexington & 58th st. (Bloomingdales) or Lex & 68 st. (Hunter College)

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how far from upper east side

hi, thanks for everyones help!! Looking forward to visiting your fabulous city!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how far from upper east side

To measure distances in NYC, you can use www.hopstop.com

Also, take a look at the FAQ "sticky" at the top of the forum for more tips for sightseeing, getting around and shopping.

Have fun!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how far from upper east side

There is a crosstown bus at 57th and at 66th that may be helpful if it's cold (will take you to the subway)

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how far from upper east side

Here is a good website I found on the UES which lists (among other things) restaurants

http://www.uppereast.com/

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how far from upper east side

That's a good link, Ange.

Here's another. It's the UES intro from the City Review site (one of my favorite resources). It contains info and photos of many of the area's notable buildings, including my favorites -- the old wooden houses that still exist on E. 92nd and 93rd.

http://www.thecityreview.com/uesintro.html

10. Re: how far from upper east side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 22:19