We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

Co.Armagh-N.Ireland
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

Hey everyone, as this is my second time in NYC im keen to see some things off the beaten track and had heard of the Big Apple Greeters.Anyone familiar with them and is it just too much hassle and am I safer discovering the place myself.

Thanks

C

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

I am a greeter and can answer your questions:

Is it worth it? Yes, it is totally free and you will be taken to places you may not ordinarily see or know about.

You must apply as soon as you have a hotel reservation, as there are more requests for greeters than greeters themselves.

Why would it be a hassle? If you are assigned a greeter you meet and go, no muss, no fuss.

You can request a specific neighborhood or area and they will try to match you with someone knowledgeable about their area.

www.bigapplegreeter.org

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

Hmmm, sounds like you're not describing your concerns correctly, because I don't get how a free, personalized tour in a neighborhood you specify might not be worth it if you want to explore NYC.

"Safer" - are you concerned about meeting up with a stranger? That makes sense, but this is a legit volunteer organization, rather than someone advertising on craigslist.

There are many trip reports here with rave reviews about BAGs. Enter "greeter" in the search box.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

Hi

As it is free it should be worth it. I did try to send in a request for a big apple greeter but I never did get any feedback from them after filling out the forms :-(

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen.com

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

I'd highly recommend it - you get shown around, for free, by a local - I've seen some places I'd have never have seen going it alone.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

Just another person piping in to say it is definitely worth it!

Mez.

SWales
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

Met up with a Big Apple Greeter on our visit earlier this month. I would say it is definatley worth it. He spent 4 hours with us, was a mine of information and showed us places we would never have known was there!

(Got back a week ago - it's been hectic since but will write a trip report over the Christmas break!)

Peak District...
Level Contributor
432 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

A Big Apple Greeter has got to be one of the biggest bargains in the travel industry! Where else would you get a private guide who's so proud of his/her city that they give up sizeable chunks of their free time to show visitors around areas of which they have the in-depth knowledge that only local residents could acquire? They do it all for the love of the city, and there is no fee, though you can make a donation to the Big Apple organisation. On our recent trip, our BAG spent five and a half hours exploring Harlem with us, and it was one of the highlights of our holiday.

The only downside - and unless your itinerary is set in concrete it shouldn't be a problem - is that sometimes they don't let you know whether or not you've got a BAG until the day before. That's partly why they need an accommodation address for you. We found a fax awaiting us when we arrived at our B&B.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

NYC Girl --

I've been thinking of maybe signing up to be a BAG... what can you tell me about your experience volunteering?

LOL --- and if anyone wants to venture an opinion as to whether I'd be good at it, or too abrasive and opinionated (lord knows some people think that, given responses to some posts...), let me know! :-)

Co.Armagh-N.Ireland
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

Thanks everyone,I have sent a request online but I have a bad feeling it may be too late,but fingers crossed!

What a great idea it is though,NYC really does have everything you need!

C

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Apple Greeters,worth it?

NYCdave, I PM'd you.