We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York City On A Budget

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
New York City On A Budget

Hi all, My girlfriend and I will be traveling to new york in August 2008. I've done most research on things and trying to work final budgeting out.

Now I'm just asking if anyone has any recommendations for accommodation?

I'm thinking about "Candy" Hostel on w 95th street, Manhattan. BUT.. I've seen some horrible reviews for it on this site.. On www.hotelworld.com they are offering 6 nights in candy hostel from Tuesday 12th of august to Monday 18th of august for $611.20... This is for a private room with double bed and personal ensuite.

I've seen some DISGUSTING reviews, Anyone can think of anywhere close to that price range for a PRIVATE room with double bed and ensuite?

Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,373 reviews
from US$36.00*
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York City On A Budget

I'll bump this up so that others will see it and give you some good advice. Also--would you consider staying outside of Manhattan? It will help to know this.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New York City On A Budget

I would defffffinatly consider it. But I'm a night person, I plan to do my aimless wandering around town then.

Is the crime rate as bad as it's made out to be? Is walking the street's at night that dangerous?

:S Curious traveler.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York City On A Budget

NYC is one of the safest large cities. Of course, like any city, there are places that are sketchy after dark. However, as a visitor you are not likely to encounter them. NYC has come a long way from the mid-70s when the city was broke and crime-ridden. It is so much safer now! So if you had to travel back to a hotel at night, you shouldn't have any problems. Just note that after midnight, the trains don't run as frequently as they do in the daytime.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York City On A Budget

Since NYC has the lowest crime rate it's had in over 50 years, plus it is now the safest large city in the world, then, yes the crime rate is as bad as they say it is.

;o) Instead of relying on "them" and too much NYPD Blue and Law and Order, check out this collection of threads about safety from the FAQ "sticky":

MUGGING: Sorry to disappoint you, but New York City is no longer the "rotten apple". It's possibly the safest large city in the world. NYC probably has a lower crime rate per capita than your home town. Read this collection of posts written by frightened people who have watched "Taxi Driver" too many times.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1504171…

Also in the FAQ is this Insider Page about enjoying NYC on a tight budget:

NEVER PAY RETAIL! Get a "Golden Apple" experience on a "Granny Smith" budget! Great tips and links for freebies and cheap entertainment. Plus, a comparison of City Pass, New York Pass and other entertainment ticket packages.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c62659/New-Yor…

About lodging, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't stay in a disgusting place, even if it was free.

Again, from the FAQ is this collection of threads all about staying outside Manhattan:

GET OFF THE ISLAND - LODGING OUTSIDE MANHATTAN: Is it possible to find clean, safe, affordable lodging outside Manhattan? Yes, even with some trade-offs, you can find lodging in Queens, New Jersey and Brooklyn.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1338069…

Lastly, if you're tempted to instead send lots of cash to reserve that unbelievable bargain of a 3 bedroom apartment overlooking both the Statue of Liberty and Central Park, read this collection of threads about apartment rental scams. If it seems to good to be true, it is:

RENTERS BEWARE! Apartment and house vacation rentals are not common in NYC. In fact, most are scams. Even if they are not outright scams, you could end up in an illegal rental and not even know it. Use a hotel instead.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1563270…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,423 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York City On A Budget

It would be far far better for you to:

>spend a bit more

>get a room with shared bathroom at a place with decent reviews

>stay outside Manhattan

than stay at a place with disgusting reviews. You decide which you want to go for. In the meantime, have a look at hostelz.com which also has reviews and a search engine. Keep in mind at the time you're coming it's really important to have good a/c so take that into consideration.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York City On A Budget

I was just reading about Chelsea Lodge which is highly recommended here on TA. They have a shared bathroom, but you have a sink and shower in your room. They also have air-conditioning. Their rate was $129 for double:

http://www.chelsealodge.com/index.html

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York City On A Budget

Some other places to look at: Second Home on Second Avenue, East Village Bed and Coffee, The Pod Hotel, The Newton Hotel. Read the reviews of these places and see what you think.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New York City On A Budget

Hey all, I really appreciate all your help and tips, It has all been copied and pasted, Printed out and put in my travel folder, I've began searching outside of Manhattan and it's becoming a livable dream.

Any further tips feel free to let me know, Cos i'll be on here DAILY from now till august checking up the the wonderful city.

Dallas
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: New York City On A Budget

I'll be making my first trip to New York City in April of this year and also on a budget. I considered the same things you have mentioned and decided on the Chelsea Lodge for 7 nights a total of $970. It has good reviews and I'll be sure to post one after my stay.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New York City On A Budget

Hotel Penn is right across from Madison Square Garden & Penn Station. It is on 34th & 7th, 8 short blocks from Times Square. Their prices were about $120/night in July 2005 and March 2006. I don't know if they've gone up, but it is definitely something to look into. It is a very large hotel, and the location is great! The hotel is not the best, but it is very decent. I have stayed there, and would do it again.