We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Part 1 - Accommodation

Land of Oz
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Part 1 - Accommodation

Now that the Christmas rush is over, and I've recovered from the jet lag, here's our trip report part 1.

DH and I returned last week from our trip which incorporated two weeks in NYC. We stayed for the first half at Greenwich Village Home, and the second half at A Garden in Chelsea.

Greenwich Village Home: We read the lovely reports here about Carla's hospitality, and it's all true. Carla came out to welcome us after our long trip, and took us on a tour of the little studio's facilities, even though I was very jet lagged. Luckily DH was around to take it all in.

Carla kept the little studio clean and tidy during our stay: it was really nice not to have to worry about cleaning or washing dishes during our stay there. She also did a load of laundry for us, which really helped. Having breakfast provided for our first week was a treat, since it took us a few days to find our way around and get to know the area..

There is also a very efficient heating system in the house, which was nice for us as we weren't accustomed to the NYC winter (although we were told it was warmer than usual when we were visiting, it still took us a while, and some new coats, to get acclimatized). In fact we ended up having to open the windows a bit when the heat was turned up!

Wireless internet access is available at GVH and it was really useful in booking restaurants and tickets to shows, as well as just checking emails. There are also lots of TV channels to watch. It is very conveniently located to the subway, restaurants, cafes and shopping areas.

Breakfast is provided here, we had a choice of hot and cold cereals, with bagels and cream cheese or muffins, fruit, juices, coffee and tea, as well as our "welcome" cannolis.

One thing that the other reviews didn't mention that is fabulous about GVH is the bed. DH has had problems from an old football injury, and the mattress was wonderfully firm and supportive, and he didn't have any aches and pains at all. We both had a great night's sleep while we were staying with Carla.

A Garden in Chelsea was our next stop. There weren't many reviews so I wasn't really sure what to expect. However, it's a similar set up to GVH: the room is at the bottom of a brownstone, a few steps below street level. The major difference here is that the hosts don't provide breakfast, only coffee and juice to get you started. It is more like a studio apartment rental than a B&B, so it should probably be classified as that, instead of a B&B. The hosts also don't service the room, and tend to keep out of your way unless you need something. Since we had already been in NYC a week, there were several places we wanted to go for breaakfast, so it wasn't a problem. Since we were only there a week, the room not being serviced didn't pose a problem either.

The room here is very large and airy, and there is access to the back garden (except in winter). The extra room was very much welcome, as by the end of the first week, we had accumulated a fair bit of shopping and souvenirs. There would definitely be enough room for a couple with a child to stay here.

The room can be set up as a king size bed, which we had. THe bed was wonderfully supportive and firm, and the room is equipped with a DVD player and stereo as well as fully equipped little kitchen with a microwave and stove. The apartment has a table and chairs, and there are large shelves of books available too, and a big closet to hang clothes.

The pipes in the pictures in the TA review are heaters: they radiate heat down into the room very nicely in winter. An additional electric heater was available as well, but we really didn't need it, the room was very warm just from the heating pipes. The marble bathroom has a small tub/shower and a drying line across the bathtub, so it's possible to do a little bit of laundry. The hosts provide wireless internet access.

It is located a few blocks from the subway, and is close to restaurants, cafes and shopping areas.

Both places have similar reservations policies: you need to book well in advance and provide a 50% deposit, with the remainder paid when you arrive in cash. Both supply amenities such as hair dryers and iron and ironing board.

We enjoyed our time at both places, and would happily stay at both again.

Next up: Part 2 - Attractions and sightseeing

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Accommodation

Very Nice review of accommodation - I have never heard of "A Garden in Chelsea" so nice to hear it turned out okay.

Just to note - most Bed & Breakfasts in Manhattan that advertise that their units have private kitchens usually provide the basics and no Breakfast.

Housekeeing vary - in these units some offer some do not - but the Innkeeper is usually always available either in person or by phone if you need something. I enjoy these little apartments fround in these types of "bed and breakfast listing" or "Contained Resorts" when I visit places as they offer a different feel from a Hotel. A feel that can only be described as a homey feel.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,417 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Accommodation

Glad to hear both worked out so well for you. Curious to know if you purposely stayed in 2 places or whether neither was available for your entire trip. Also curious to know if you had considered chelsea lodge suites as an option. ;)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Accommodation

Glad your accomdations worked out, especially for a 2 week stay.

Looking forward to part 2.

bournemouth uk
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Accommodation

can you provide the address of greenwich village home i tried to find it on google but it just comes up with funeral homes ....im hoping you didnt stay at one of them lol!!!!

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Accommodation

website is http://www.greenwichvillagehome.com/

I believe the price is now about $215 ish (we paid $195 in Sept but Carla did mention a slight price increase - worth it tho imo)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
533 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Accommodation

good to hear suxh a nice review of home, will be staying there in march :)

love and light...

Land of Oz
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Accommodation

We didn't set out to stay at two different places originally. I spent a few months lurking here and doing some research before trying to make bookings in late June. I emailed about 4 or 5 places for the first round, giving them our dates and asking about their rooms. Within a few hours I had heard back from all of them except GVH, and none could fit us in. At that point I started to get a bit worried that I might have left things a bit late.

I received an email later that night from Carla, saying that she had an opening for part of our trip. Thinking that it would be good to at least have one week covered, I locked down the booking for that week at GVH.

Karen at A Garden in Chelsea responded very quickly to my email, saying that she had the second week open, so I just pounced on it, since we knew that early December is very busy in NYC.

We were open to Chelsea Lodge Suites, but ended up booking the places that responded to us first.

8. Re: Trip Report Part 1 - Accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 10:21