We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York in August !

London, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
New York in August !

I visited New York in March 2007, with my partner and two teenage children. We all fell in love with New York and can't wait to return. I'm thinking of returning in August 2008 for a week. Is August a good month to visit? Is the weather too hot? I'm sure I can cope whatever! We just can't wait to come back!(Saving hard already)Many thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
83 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York in August !

Well, it depends on what you like. August can definitely be HOT HOT HOT, crowded and full of visitors. When NY gets hot, it also gets smelly.

Locals tend to leave for weekend homes at the beach or upstate. Also, you may want to check the price differences for hotels and airfare.

If you have the flexibility, I would suggest coming in September.

London, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York in August !

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatley we have to fit our holiday in with school/college timetable. We are planning on visiting between 25th Aug- 1st Sept 08 so hopefully it might have cooled down a bit by then.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York in August !

If you want to see what others did, peruse this colection of trip reports by families with teens (linked in the FAQ "sticky")

Families with teenagers:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k473200-…

Click through the pages and find trip reports from August.

p.s. yes, the subway gets very hot and very smelly.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York in August !

During that time August-Sept it is hot and as the previous poster said smelly! But it should be much cheaper then. Locals will be at their beach house or on vacation in Bermuda and so on. It seems at that time of year there is no air in the city. But as I said it is much cheaper and practically empty of locals. The heat shouldn't bother you because you aren't here to sun bath. You will be in and out of air conditioned buildings. The only real issue at that time of year is if it gets too hot some times we have black outs from over use of air conditioners. Not fun in NYC. Food spoils and it isn't pretty. Most of the tourists area don't get black outs very often. There was the one famous black out but in general it is just smaller areas that get them not the entire metro area.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York in August !

We were in NYC last August and again in early September, and it was hot enough to cook fried eggs on the sidewalk! It didn't spoil our fun though. We had to avoid the subway, though, because, as our hotel staff said, "Don't you even think about the subway, it's a steam bath down there!"

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York in August !

well, that's definitely a better time than July and early August, but it will be hot...

London, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York in August !

Thanks everyone, for the useful advice and quick replies. I don't know whether to book for August now!

HELP!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York in August !

Rosiehola - of course you should! You're not going to let a little heat spoil your fun, are you? We had a blast, and so will you!

New York
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New York in August !

The subway platforms are fairly hellish, but the trains themselves are generally air conditioned.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York in August !

I think it is a great time to come because the city is practically empty or as empty as it gets and is much cheaper. It may be hotter than you are used to in London. The air quality is bad we often have ozone alerts that time of year. So we aren't sugar coating it for you but it is a great time to come with less tourists and the cost being less and being less crowded in the places you want to visit.