We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question for foreign visitors!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
871 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
A question for foreign visitors!

Since things are finally rolling on the presidential campaign here in the US, and Barack Obama won a huge suprise victory in the first contest yesterday, I wanted to ask a question:

How does the American president/leadership influence how you feel about America in general? Does it influence your desire to visit here one way or the other?

Also, what would Obama (Kenyan father from Hawaii, white mother from Kansas, childhood in Indonesia, opposed Iraq war from the start) as president say to you or your countrymates? Would it improve your perception of America/Americans or not?

(ps... I love reading up on local/regional politics when I travel abroad. Not only fascinating, but also usually impresses people who assume we Americans don't know about anything beyond our shores!)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question for foreign visitors!

My personal view from a UK point is; It doesn't matter who is President when visiting your great country!

President Bush is not very popular and he is viewed as 'Dumb' by the UK press. (But I guess he can't be that dumb to be President!) His war on terror is weak, it is ALL about Oil!! Hence the butchering going on in Kenya at the moment or the plight of Zimbarbwi doesn't get a second look as there is no gain. (Except the gain of saving lives!!) Yesterday, I watched on the news as a chap was 'butchered' and I turned to my wife and said were's the Americans and Brits now????

I've been watching the President race with interest and Obama has been courted here as a winner, running against Clinton, before Todays result! I think for America a 'Black' President will be good for the country and will help close divides and hopefully turn the American economy back.

On a personal note President Bill Clinton was most peoples favorite and it was a shame he could not stay on longer, his foriegn policy was excellent and with him at the healm we certainly wouldn't be in Iraq now!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question for foreign visitors!

Personally, I think 'dubya' is a joke (sorry if I offend anyone but this is just IMHO). Also from my personal experience, the majority of the UK don't seem to care too much who the President of the US is until it comes to major events such as 9/11 and the subsequent Iraq war. Times like that make us look at who is controlling (or not) these situations.

At the same time though, the presidential campaign is a matter of interest for a lot of us here. Mainly because of the previous events I mentioned - I think a lot of us are hoping that 'we'll' get a better one this time around. (Or at least one that hides the strings better)

Oh, and I hear the Wollman rink is the best one for skating.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A question for foreign visitors!

What I think most people find fascinating, myself included, is that the key Democratic candidates are historical firsts: a black man and a woman. Terrific no matter who gets the nomination, based on that alone.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A question for foreign visitors!

I'm not a visitor, but the Europeans and Brits (and Canadians, and Thais, and everyone else I guess) could be loving Bush, his cronies and policies right now for 1 good reason - they've devalued our dollar to the lowest level since Reagan!

Scotland
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A question for foreign visitors!

American president and leadership makes you feel that america is not only trying to run america but take over..! Its does not influence wanting to visit at all, if your going to visit you will visit!

This war in Iraq is all because of GBJ & no offence but it has nothing to do with Britian, Tony Blair was just a brown noser to GBJ!!! Roll on the new young black president coming into power!! He will take all the innocent men fighting in Iraq home to there families where they should be!!! I also think that GBJ is not actually running the country i think its the way his FATHER wants it run... the sooner he is out the better!!

I think this young guy getting in to presidents position would be a breath of fresh air, a new start & the best thing for america!

But thats just my opinion!! :o)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A question for foreign visitors!

it took me awhile to figure out what GBJ was! Love it!

Scotland
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A question for foreign visitors!

Gald you like it ;o)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,215 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A question for foreign visitors!

we have so many names for him

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A question for foreign visitors!

If I was American Obama would have my vote. I think he will be good for the US. (dont want the $ to go 1.40 to british pound as it did in 2002 thou. Thought I was in heaven this summer in New Orleans when we got $2.00 to pounds, so yes thanks GBJ) No seriously I think it will do the american image a lot of good

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A question for foreign visitors!

I think the American people are ready for change and I think Obama may well be the change you are looking for. However, I have a major concern about Obama's ignorance of geopolitics. He has expressed an interest in discussing issues with the "President of Canada". We are your closest neighbor and largest trading partner......and have never had a "President". With that said, we will forgive him this time. Goodness knows GWB certainly had his share of foot in the mouth moments.