We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

Not a thread asking for advice, just being nosy really :-D Looking for opinions!

I'm sure that all of us that visit, end up walking a whole lot more than we normally do. Even though I use the subway a lot, I still end up walking and walking and walking. And that leads to pretty damn sore feet from pounding those side walks and streets!

2nd time I went over, I swear I have never had such sore feet in my life. I must have had some really bad shoes that time. Me and my friend could hardly move by the end of the week :-D We went to Philadelphia for a hockey game, and all we could manage to do was drag ourselves from the bus station to a bar, figuring a couple shots of JD would ease the pain - not such a bad thing ;-)

Since then, I think I've decided that a good pair of sneakers (trainers) work best for me, so long as it isn't too soggy or mushy underfoot. Oh and some of them gel thingys you can buy from drug stores / chemists to put in your shoes, they help a bit as well!

So what's your preferred footwear for walking around New York?

Durham
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

I take 2 pairs of my most comfy shoes - whatever they are at the time of my visit - usually one pair of trainers and a pair of walking boots - one year a pair of walking sandal type things and flip flops (obviously this was when it was warm and not in winter I'm not that insane.....although at least if your feet were freezing you wouldn't feel the pain of walking lol!) I find alternating between the two pairs helps as each one normally gives me different comfort points (for example the walking boots support my ankles whereas the trainers are softer on the soles of my feet.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

I've yet to find a pair of shoes (trainers or otherwise) than the Tsubos we got on our first trip.

The airline has 'misplaced' our luggage so on the first morning we bought a pair each and wore them out of the shop - then didn't take them off for the rest of the week! Not even any working in required - they were amazing.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

the airline *had* misplaced

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

New Balance makes a good walking shoe.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

When visting any city I also alternate between walking boots and sneakers and find this works well.

Socks are also important and I've bought some with padded soles which help a lot.

If you're form the UK (not sure what other countries have the shops) can I also recommend peppermint foot lotion from the Body Shop, really good stuff and I know from a friend who workd for the company that it's a favourite of bar and waitinf staff after long shifts. I used it morning and evening when I was in NY and it really helped with the foot weariness.

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

I have "borrowed" my shoes from work, I am a mailman, Its a Reebok walking shoe with cushions both in the front and in the back of the shoe and it very lightweight as well, the perfect shoe for those NYC walks.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

My New Balance sneakers are best for me, but there's no best shoe for everyone. I sprang for a $300+ pair of Mephistos that seemed perfect when I bought them. But they're now in the shoe graveyard at the back of my closet, along with Aerosoles (sorry Daisiegee!), Clark's and others. But I know others who swear by those shoes. So, as in everything else, different strokes for different folks.

wales
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

I have just come home from ny and i must agree that a comfy pair of shoes is a must! my feet have never hurt so much from all the walking around! and it tends to spoil the day out if your feet are aching :( I learned the hard way.... nexy time i will be taking comfy flat walking shoes!!

NJ
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

I have 2 prs New Balance sneaks--I have very narrow heels & normal-width fronts of feet--their narrow width is perfect. I am so tired of my heels coming out of other shoes! Their shoes have a wider "box' in front which is why, I think, so many people like them. They make a black sneaker which I am planning to buy shortly & then walking around in cities I won't look like such a dork. Same shoe, just black.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
4,772 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your preferred footware for all that walking around NYC!

New Balance walking shoes are my footwear of choice..You can usually catch a good deal on the internet....