We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

alone with a child

Camden, Delaware
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
alone with a child

I think i'm tired of cancelling my nyc trip due to people not being able to go. So, i'm from a small town, i've never been to nyc, and i have an 8 yo. Can i do it on my own? What are your recommendations? I know where we are staying (the cosmopolitan in tribeca) and the play we are seeing (junie b jones), everything else is up in the air. I am nervous. A lot. I shouldnt be, and i think that probably frustrates some natives, but that's life. I'll be less nervous after my first trip. :)

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: alone with a child

You absolutely can do it on your own. People come here all of the time solo or just with their kid.

Don't be nervous! You are right you won't be nervous after your first trip and I bet at some point during your first trip you will say "this is what I was nervous about?"

Check the FAQs for more information. www.hopstop.com is a great website to help you find your way around.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: alone with a child

You are going to be fine. Check the FAQ post for reports from solo travellers - there are many with reservations before the trip, and they all end up loving their time here!

I had friends stay at the Cosmopolitan in December and they were happy with it and it is very close to a subway stop. Plus, cabs are so cheap here, if you don't like the subway you can always get a cab. (Having said that, I feel more safe here on the subway at night than in my hometown in Australia, so there is nothing to be worried about re: the subway.)

Don't rely on others, if they keep cancelling on you. It'll be the best thing you ever did!

Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: alone with a child

You can absolutely do it on your own. There are so many fantastic things for kids in this place. I have spent a lot of time hanging out with my toddler in this great city. People are really friendly and helpful, especially when you have kids. I have also found the city to be pretty safe.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: alone with a child

Go! Definitely! I'm jealous because I'm trying to find a way to take my 9 year old (just me & him).

Hang on a sec - do you mean taking your 8 yo with you or leaving him/her at home?

Camden, Delaware
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: alone with a child

No, i'm definitely taking her with me. Its a birthday trip for her, as our 2nd day there will be her 8th birthday. She's always wanted to go. :) I really think this country girl gave birth to a city girl.

Middleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: alone with a child

You can totally do it on your own! I went to NYC in October with my 9-year old son and had a blast! I felt completely safe the entire time, even at night.

We did everything -- Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, Central Park, Museum of Natural History, Times Square, Top of the Rock, Chinatown, (plus saw JK Rowling at Carnegie Hall) - all in 48 hours. We took the subway almost everywhere.

Our biggest problem is that we didn't have enough time to do everything.

I'd recommend everything listed above. I think he liked Central Park the best (but we had great 70 degree weather). But he loved everything else as well. I only wish we could have made it to the Met and to the Cloisters. Be sure to get a hot dog from a vendor around Central Park. I think he feels that was our best meal (I know - pathetic, but he's 9)!

Go and have fun!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: alone with a child

Oh well in that case, you have to!

I love NYC but I have my own agenda so when I drag my 9 year old there (I say drag - he's boycotting us going to Florida in favour of NYC) I honestly think the best thing you could do would be to read through the trip reports (with kids) on the FAQS.

Pick out what you think is manageable and get your young lady to pick out what she would most like to do.

Once you've done the hard part, post back here and everyone will help you with planning.

Good luck!!!

Camden, Delaware
Level Contributor
73 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: alone with a child

thanks to everyone who replied. :) I'm still nervous, but not so much now.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,199 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: alone with a child

You'll have a great time, but weather can interfere. When are you planning on doing this?

Be sure to read the family travel section for NYC at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s401/New-York-…

Also be sure to check what the New Victory theater (a family theater) will be showing during your visit http://www.newvictory.org/ -- all seats are good, even the very cheap balconey seats

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: alone with a child

And make sure you take her to American Girl Place - this store is amazing. A 30 year old friend and I spent a good half hour in here, just amazed at all the options for girls and their dolls!