We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

london
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

hey,

i'm travelling to NYC late spring and wanted to know what bars anyone would suggest we go to. im going with someone in their late 40's but she's not at all old so to speak. And i'm in my early 20's. we both like places that are trendy, chic, sexy but not too up its own arse. and certainly not too overpriced or really touristy. we're staying in a hotel on lexington but aren't too bothered about staying in this particular area to eat/drink and are happy to travel around the city.

we'd both really like to go to a nice lobster restaurant, and a proper steak/burger house that isn't too grotty but that will hopefully still maintain a laid back atmosphere.

Also we would really like to go to a baseball game. what are the season dates and what teams do you suggest we go see? and what are ticket prices like, can you buy them on the day?

sorry for all the questions.

thanks

Real New York Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - New York
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
NYC Horse Carriage Rides
Horse-Drawn Carriage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

"im going with someone in their late 40's but she's not at all old "

that line tickled me, sorry :-D

As for baseball, it starts up in April.

There are a huge range of ticket prices, so you can most likely find something for any budget!

Go see the Yankees or the Mets! Both are very popular, one is a tad more succesful than the other ;-)

Next season is the last at Yankee Stadium before they move to the new ballpark (being built near the old one). As it's one of THE most famous sports venues in the world, it's well worth making the effort to get there in it's last season.

Bronxville, New York
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

What are your exact travel dates? This will be necessary to determine whether the Yankees and the Mets, the two local baseball teams, will be in town during your stay.

You can check schedules at:

www.yankees.com

www.mets.com

Also, which hotel are you staying at? Simply saying that it's on Lexington isn't specific enough to provide recommendations, as that Avenue runs over 100 blocks (several miles) through Manhattan.

london
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

im staying at the Radisson, on the corner of E48th st. but as i said i dont mind going to different areas of the city.

im gonna be there from the 24-28 may.

hope thats more of a help to you, thanks

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,928 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

"not too up its own arse" this amused me - do you mean not too pretentious?

As for steak/burger joints that are not too grotty - well most restaurants try to maintain some modicum of cleanliness, they have to - to keep their food service license up to date.

So, are you looking for steak or burgers - for steak, Peter Luger's in Brooklyn, in Manhattan, Smith and Wollensky, Sparks; laid back not sure what that means!!!!

Burgers, try the Burger Joint at the Parker Meridian or for a more caasual time I've had really good burgers at many of the local pubs around town.

As for touristy places, if you go there you are a tourist so is the place you are frequenting then touristy? What does it matter - all venues cater to locals, tourists and everyone in between.

You received some good advice re: baseball.

Use GOOGLE for more information on almost everything you asked.

Relax, have fun!

Poppa

Bronxville, New York
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

The Yankees will be playing Seattle at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx on the 24th and 25th.

The Mets will be playing Florida at Shea Stadium in Queens on the 26th, 27th, and 28th.

I would recommend going to Yankee Stadium - it is a baseball gem, a historic and revered ballpark that will be replaced in 2009 by a new Stadium, so it will be your only chance to see it.

Go early, hang out outside the Stadium with all the food vendors in the streets, the rowdy (but not violent) fans, grab a beer at Stan's or one of the other bars, and enjoy the atmosphere.

Shea Stadium is fun, too, and the debate between which one is better to visit is always a fun topic.

london
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

thank you....looks like il be heading off to the yankee stadium unless anyone can convince me otherwise.

so any ideas on bars?

Central Village...
Level Contributor
17,928 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

Check www.murphguide.com - more bars than you can shake a stick at---and just walk down Lex - plenty of watering holes all around Manhattan.

Poppa

london
Level Contributor
124 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

ok thank you. iv just had a look and the website seems like it will be v helpful

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

hi LondonCityGirl20

two spots with lively neighborhood bars & great burgers (note: not steak houses) are 'Blue Smoke' (known for it's barbeque) at 116 E 27th btw Lexington & Park...and 'The Half King' at 505 W 23rd near 10th Avenue. have fun!

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baseball, Bars, Burgers and Booze...........................

LCG:

For lobster, i would recommend Francisco's Centro Vasco, 23rd STreet b/w 6th and 7th, for reasonably priced lobster and the like.

stuckinnj