We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board

Dublin
Level Contributor
792 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board

Hi, not sure where is the best place to post this, but here goes...has anyone ever flown Continental, Newark to Dublin, Ireland, and return, with kids? I hope to use them, but I will have a 7 year old (no problem) and a 2 and 1/2 year old, with 2 parents. Do they have the TV screens on the back of the seats? It's a Boeing 757-200.

I also have a connecting flight from Newark to Orlando, same story, and again same plane type.

I am happy to bring the usual colouring books, toys, etc., just wondering how the onboard staff/facilities rate?

I know Virgin Atlantic are the kings in terms of kids entertainment on flights, and I hear BA are not too bad either. I've flown Delta transatlantic before, and I would not really rate them from a kids perspective.

All opinions welcome!

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
364 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board

I flew coach on Continental to Manchester a couple of years ago and there were no personal entertainment systems onboard. I have heard that they now exist on 777 and 767 aircraft but I don't think they exist on 757s.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board

Continental's not great for inflight entertainment. Some planes have monitors on the back of the seats and some don't. Even those that do, the games aren't great quality either and the firing is very slow, you press fire six times to get one laser shot. I've seen them hand out coloring packets to the little ones, just be sure to bring your own stuff for them. If Continental wasn't the only direct flight from nyc to glasgow, i wouldn't use them at all (rude staff, poor legroom, expensive flights).

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board

If you want to see just how bad their inflight entertainment is, go to:

continental.com/travel/…default.asp

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board

By the way, they charge you $5 a headset for internal flights, so be sure to keep the free headsets you'll get from Dublin for use on your Orlando leg.

Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board

Hi ya, just returned from New York and Vegas with Continental from Dublin. I found Continental to Newark excellent, they do have TV screens on the back of each seat, it was a 767. Unfortunately, we didn't bring our kids so cant comment. When we flew to Las Vegas I didn't find them too good, it was a 757, screens came from the ceiling, one between nine passengers, but was told that internal flights are not catered for as well as trans-atlantic flights. I would go direct, if I had a choice.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board

I always fly Continental (domestically only), and they do always show a movie, but it's not always for kids. Chances are the flight to Orlando would have a movie that's somewhat kid-friendly. Make sure you bring plenty of snacks and things to do for the kids. When my kids were little, I used to buy them brand new sticker books/activity books/new markers or crayons/drawing pads, etc. and not give them to the kids until we were on the plane. (They can't even know you have these gifts otherwise they'll want them sooner.) Good luck! Don't forget plenty of snacks, lollypops, candy bars, juice packs, etc. Don't rely on being served airport food they'll eat.

yorkshire uk
Level Contributor
151 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board

we have just returned from new york and flew with continental. we travelled with our 11 year old daughter. we could not find any fault at all with the service we received. All the staff were very friendly ,plenty of free drinks[non-alchole], inflight entertainment was good. I managed to pre-order a childs meal which was chicken nuggetts,chips,beans, and plenty of other food items.hope you all enjoy the flight. try looking on www.contintal.com for more information.

By the way we flew from Gatwick

Dublin
Level Contributor
792 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board

The Dub-Newark flights for 2006 look like 757's, but you never know, they might put on a 767.

I would love to book a direct flight, but Aer Lingus are pulling out of the Dublin-MCO route from Dec 31 2005, due to industrial relations problems - the staff want Orlando treated as a West coast station, which would mean they would be entitled to extra days leave, longer stop-overs, etc. So Aer Lingus called the unions bluff, and pulled the service. They are presently rebooking all the passengers for early 2006 onto other airlines.

It has been pointed out to me that the Dub-Newark flight is actually short enough, and I'll be bringing a portable DVD player for the kids.

Dublin
Level Contributor
792 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board

The Dub-Newark flights for 2006 look like 757's, but you never know, they might put on a 767.

I would love to book a direct flight, but Aer Lingus are pulling out of the Dublin-MCO route from Dec 31 2005, due to industrial relations problems - the staff want Orlando treated as a West coast station, which would mean they would be entitled to extra days leave, longer stop-overs, etc. So Aer Lingus called the unions bluff, and pulled the service. They are presently rebooking all the passengers for early 2006 onto other airlines.

It has been pointed out to me that the Dub-Newark flight is actually short enough, and I'll be bringing a portable DVD player for the kids.

Dublin
Level Contributor
792 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Continental Flights & kids entertainment on board