We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Topic
Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

Here's a link to The Times' story:

nytimes.com/2008/01/14/nyregion/14ships.html…

And here's the quote that made me smile:

“On the second day, we were quite bad, very seasick,” said Laura Browning, 51, of Manchester, England, who sailed to New York with her husband, Steve, aboard the Queen Victoria.

Brigid LeRiche, 52, who is from Bath, England, and was also on the Queen Victoria, said, “The crew distributed some tablets to those of us who felt sick.

“We call them ‘joy riders’ in the U.K.,” Mrs. LeRiche said of the tablets. “They make you feel really good, especially with some Bacardi and Coke.”

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

Thanks for the link. Did you go down to watch?

I spent a lovely evening with NYWhiz and a friend of hers at the Vu Restaurant in the Jersey City Hyatt. The view from the restaurant and bar is terrific and I would recommend it to those looking for a great view of the city. The food was nothing to write home about, but the view makes up for it.

The ships were quite an aweswome sight; the Queen Mary 2 especially. It really is like a small city. And the fireworks were fun.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

LOL! I'll have to go and hang out on some dodgy Manchester streets tonight, and see if I can score some Joy Riders. They sound great, although I'll have to substitute the bacardi for something a bit better.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

I'd always thought it best to avoid alcohol when you're suffering from seasickness but I'm intrigued now as to the merits of a B&C along with a 'joyrider'!

If anyone knows what's in those I'd be interested to hear too!

Maybe Rocksider can shed some light?

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

Joy-Rides

travelpharm.com/uploadedfiles/…joyride.pdf

Always used them when my children were young, note: avoid alcohol.

On a very choppy North Sea coming home from LegoLand Denmark, I had forgotten I had taken these earlier, the combination with a lager did not help!

Pat

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

Kate, I was thinking of you. Glad you and Whiz had fun, sorry I couldn't join. Did you take pictures?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

Yes, I do have some pics, but haven't put them on the computer yet - and don't know how blurry they all are, my camera isn't that great for night shots. If there are any good ones I'll post them!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

What a sight it must have been. Thanks for the link.

I didn't know the Queen Elizabeth II was retiring.

My favorite quote:

>>There are no rock-climbing walls or pools with waves in any of the ships; life on board is about sipping a glass of Champagne on the deck and twirling to the sound of a live orchestra in the ballroom.<<

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

Let us know if video of the event turns up on a DVD or a Travel Channel program....

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

very funny - I've never heard of those tablets!

the 3 Queens were a pretty sight, despite the pouring rain...all looked quite elegant (after viewing in Red Hook, Bklyn, we hopped in the car & followed them out as they traveled through the harbor & then under the Verrazano Bridge - it really looked beautiful).

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three Queens - what was in those "joy rider" tablets?

Those tablets do sound interesting ...

Yesterday morning I walked down to Red Hook from my apartment to view the QMII in person - what a ship. I took a bunch of photos there since it was a stunning day with a clear blue sky. Then last night I watched the fireworks from the Promenade - not exactly close, but it was raining so I wanted to be close to home. I think I took about 100 photos, but some came out very blurry. I must have been shaking from the cold rain. Oh well. Anyway, I thought the whole thing was quite spectacular.